Snowmobile Forum banner

Should i get rid of my sled?

2K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Roof_991 
#1 ·
Alright, i wana put some money into my sled, but im not sure how fast sleds advance.

to me it seems like it would be cheaper to take my cougar 550, and upgrade the skid and track, engine and be able to keep up with sleds that are newer and cost more.

or am i wrong and it would be cheaper just to buy/ trade for a newer sled that is already there.

fabrication isn't a problem because i have access to a machine shop and enjoy doing the work, especially if it doesn't have to be done to be out riding, :D

so what is better for the money for on off trail ( not super deep snow, but maybe some 3/4 foot snow at the deepest.

-Drop brackets

- bigger lug track( maybe rail extentions and bigger track)

- possibly upgraded skid, if needed

- bar risers, mountain bar

what im asking is, is the cougar good enough for agressive on trail riding and some playing around in deeper snow ( WITH UPGRADES) or will i be fighting a loosing battle from the start and should i just look into getting a better sled in the next season or two? ( i would start looking now)

See less See more
#3 ·
i know exactly what you mean about customizing vs buying,

i like the sled alot, it handles great, and for trails it has enough power,

and another thing is, its not like i have all kinda of money to just blow on a amazing snowmobile, it would be me, spending my hard earned money. i would rather go the cheaper way, even if it was slightly worse.

i just wanted to know if it was possible to see an old 96 550, ripping alot and keeping up with some newer sleds.

ive been doing powersports for a long time, and i think i do an alright job, and i get better every year.

#4 ·
those handles they have running across the middle of the bars on snowmobiles.

im looking on the internet to buy one, but what do they call them, they look so usefull, ive been in so many places were i have wanted one of those.

also, i stand up, for alot of my riding, except fast open trails.

were could i get some nice grippy foot things that i could rivit onto my tunnel, the newer sleds running boards are made of it i belive, i just want to have a strip were i wana plant my feet.

some times the sled has traction and power enough to pull a nice wheelie, but my footing just isnt there, i feel like ill just flop off the back, ( and i do :p)

#5 ·
i would think you could gear it for more low end and re clutch it...it would make a world of difference.....you would lose some top end but probably pull like a 700 off the line...i modified my xcr700 and ilove it...cant afford a newer sled and now i dont want one....but i made the mistake of riding my buddies rev and now love the rider forward set up

#6 ·
Yeah, what exactly is the rider forward setup, i drove a 07 Crossfire 6, i think that had it, but i honestly only rode it around a feild a bit, and was stadding up trying to trackstand the hole time,

your in the same boat as me, i think

i dont have the money for a newer sled either, but when i see all there brand new sleds on the trails, im like 0.0,

even though i bet i could beat most of them :p(there is oviously riders 50,000 times better then me, but alot of them look old and are familys ect) not to be cocky.

#7 ·
prolly get some slide rail extensions and get it to a 136 or so. or look for a use m10 suspension, clutch it like said before, try and find a exhasut for it and then jet it accordingly, top end rebuild would be good, maybe some overbore pistons or whatever, how much you looking to spend.

#8 ·
How much i would spend would depend on how i like the sled as i upgrade it, and how it performs ect? you know what i mean?

i can see spending 1000$ if i like everything as it goes

long track is what i really want

ive looked for rail extentions, i cant find any, were could i go about buying some?

theres a nice track locally for sale right now, i would go get if i knew i could get 136" rail extentions

the track is 136 x 15 x 1.75

i think i would have to change drive sprockets, but that isnt a big deal.

#9 ·
rider forward would mean its like your on a dirt bike....the transition from sitting to standing is easy compared to an older sled.....artic cats have the same kind of set of set up...not sure what they call it...but its pretty nice

#10 ·
yeah, alright all i noticed about the crossfire is that i felt like i was planted on the sled, it was amazing, i feel like im sliding around on mine

i ride dirtbike's, its what i do, so that would be nice

is there anything i can do to my sled, to give it more of that feel? i think thats what i was talking about when i asked were can i get foot grips for my sled.

thats a great idea, rider forward, but seems like a horrible reason to upgrade to a new sled, im young and quick i can handle a hard transfer. I ride with my feet behind my knees on my sled anyway, and keep some of my weight on my feet, so i kinda comprimize

#13 ·
the picture looks like two little spike strips? is that right?

how are they attached, im probably going to buy those after a get a few replys on them

NVM I READ THE DESCRIPTION, it just answered my questions, lol

#15 ·
i have 2 alumnium strips on my foot rests that have a bunch of perforated raised bumps to grab your boots....bloody hell on your knees though....they came with the sled back in 98 though so im not sure where to get them...but if you can find something like that i think you would be happy.....boots dont move

#16 ·
Im going to fab some, but what do you guys do about the handle bars, i figured i would use stock ones because all the switches and everything on there

how far can i go with stock cables, oviously ill measure before i make them, but do you HAVE to get new cables?

were can i get a bar that goes across the handlebars?

#17 ·
i put a 3 inch riser on my xcr and all the cables had lots of room to extend the new lenght but i had to get a throttle cable extention...it just plugs in...real easy and it it gave me about 8 extra inches

#18 ·
do they have throttle cable extentions for my sled? link would be appriciated

i think ill get those spike strips off dennis kirk, they look like they will help

unless anyone knows anything better

also a link to the middle strap for rolling your sled in powder would be great :D

#19 ·
Throttle Cable extension:
PowerMadd :: Handlebar Risers & Cables :: Snowmobile Handlebar Risers & Cables :: Throttle Extension

The bar across the top of the handle bars that you mentioned early, to my knowledge, is just called a "mountain bar".

To get more of a rider forward feel you could do this, get a rider forward gas tank, they're shaped a bit different as far as being lower in the back and taller in front, so easier to straddle, then get a seat wedge )Seat Wedge Polaris Edge chassis) to lift the back or your seat a bit so it's easier to transition, and then put on a bar riser so it's more comfortable when you're standing up so you don't have to ride hunched over all the time.

As far as keeping up with the new sleds, like I've said in another post, I know a guy that has a 340 that he can go more places than some of these guys on new 800's.. it's all about rider skill as far as I'm concerned.

My sled has those added spike strips on the edge of the tunnel rail and it helps so much!

#20 ·
people keep mentioning, the m10 suspention, will this directly bolt on? because there is some for sale locally.

this m10, suspention has rail extentions to 144, does that sound right?

would i have to make a tunnel extention?

thanks!

#23 ·
m10 does make a mounting plate kit however that can be a bit pricey, and you can get extensions for them. you can make a tunnel extension pretty easily. just some sheet aluminum and cut i tinto a trapezoid then do some bends. and and pretty much done, (obviously with all the tedious measurments)

#24 ·
on my 580 someone cut the section out of another tunnel that had the raised wholes that gripped your feet, then rinolined them and riveted them on the tunnel helps a lot my feet stay planted pretty good. as far as drop brackets mine has 3 inch and there pretty nice. And they do make a tunnel extension on ebay i believe to take a 121 to a 144 made by slp was like 149 i believe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.