Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1992 indy sp 500 efi
Where can i get front shocks gor this?

Also, in the middle of the track thrre is a solid bar that is broken. How can i identify that part? Need that one too.

·
Super Moderator
1,812 Posts
Get a x10 and swap it out.

But really before you go spending money and time, you really will want to see if you can even get it to run right first!

·
Super Moderator
1,812 Posts
At the top of the page

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yep that is for the rear which what me and KC are talking about. Xtra-10 Front swaps are a lot more of a pain in the butt and the effort really isn't worth it. By the time you get done with everything for the front you are several hundred dollars in.

The rear is very easy and cheap to do these days. Just need some SS rivets, some misc odds and ends which you can get at any hardware store, an Xtra-10 rear suspension which there were a couple million made from 1995-2001 and off you go. You can pick them up sometimes with Fox Shocks that need rebuilding for 100-150 bucks. Rebuilding the fox shocks then is around 35-40 a shock for the rears. Best upgrade you can do to a sled from Polaris before 1995. The difference in ride is night and day.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Also get the spindles from the 97 RMKs part # 6230101 which will raise front end by 1 inch to keep machine level.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Mine is only off 1/2 on my '92 with the Xtra-10 upgrade. And tbh my '97 Indy 500 with the Xtra-10 front and rear from factory are only off 1/4" from level, rear shocks are fox shocks with new oil shocks up front, i didn't do that the guy before did or they would have been fox as I have a pair sitting here ready to be recharged. Same goes for the '98 Indy 440 L/C. We've tried to level them out but to no good with nothing bent. Several of our friends are the same way. Only a couple of the guys we know have completely level sleds. It doesn't affect our riding so we are just like eh heck with kinda thing.

I had heard though if things were off bad those spindles were the way to go. Most of the swaps I have seen haven't been that far off from level so most just left them alone.

·
Super Moderator
17,127 Posts
The Xtra-10 suspension has 10" of travel. The older XX suspension (which is probably what your sled has) has 6" of travel. That extra 4 inches of suspension movement makes for a lot smoother ride. For those that can find an Xtra-10 cheap and have a bit of mechanical skill, it's a great upgrade and can give an old sled new life.

Follow the links and advice of KC and Coolhand if that's something that interests you. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts