Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I went out and was working on my 2000 Polaris sport touring 550 with extra 10 susp. I was rejetting it and getting it ready to ride on Monday. I noticed that the rear end was really sagging. I picked up the rear and held it for a few seconds and let it down and it bottomed right out. I looked at the rear shock and it looked as though the oil all leaked out of the shock. I do not ride this sled much, it is my wife's, so I ordered a new "cheap" shock from Dennis Kirk. The new shock came in tonight. The new one pushes in and I have to pull it out. Is this right. It seems to me that I should have to push really hard to push it in and it should push itself out. Is this not my problem with the saggy rear end? I wonder if I didn't either get the wrong shock or just a bad one. Tech support is closed through the weekend, so I am turning to my friends here. Thanks

·
Live to ride
2,682 Posts
I just put a new shock in my extra 10, and it did the same thing.

Just get push the rear of the sled down a few times and eventually it should work fine..at least mine did

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
were you able to push and pull the new shock? shouldn't it push back out?

·
Live to ride
2,682 Posts
after the shock was I got on it and kind of bounced on it I guess you could say and it wasn't coming back up, but after a while of pushing down on the rear bumper it seemed to work fine.

The springs could also be shot?

·
Rocky Mountain POW!
53 Posts
I'm not familiar with that particular shock but I am with shocks in general. I think the shock you have may be a non gas charged shock as opposed to a gas charged shock. A chraged shock would push itself back out and a non charged shock will just dampen. I would look towards the springs being shot as they are what controls the ride height I believe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dumb A$$ attack

Headea back out the the garrage that day to look at the situation a little better in the daylight the next day. Cheched the springs all over and the shock. Pondered for about 10 minutes over the deal, then it hit me. I had put some small 4X4's under the skis whial I was working on it a couple of days earlier. The raised front end was putting a lot of pressure on the rear of the sled. It was just enough. The problem was hiding right in front of me in plain sight.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
yes if it is a oil shock it will do that. after a nice ride it will work like it should.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts