Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ZR 500 and it is gutless. I have heard that they are crazy. Mine full stop and then knip it it barley even spins. It keeps fowling plug i put new ones in with in minuits there gone unless im goin flat out. I am only gettin bout 90 miles per tank. 10 gallon! and if im fartin around i can burn it in a cupple hours.

Should I sell it and get something else or not.

What is the suspension like on them mine is the pits.

Any suggestions would help thanks.
Mark

·
Registered
570 Posts
Check the boots that connect the carbs to the engine for cracks. CHeck the oil setting. You are probably getting too much oil. Check the jetting of the carbs. It might be too rich. Your clutch is probably in need of rebuilding and your shocks need to be rebuilt too to restore the ride quality. These are great sleds, yours is just very worn out.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
What do the plugs look like when you pull them after being fouled...what color. your gas mileage is just about right 9mpg isnt bad. The shocks just control the movement and make it more smooth(however they should be rebuilt) but what youre really going to need to do is replace the springs. When is the last time you cleaned the carbs? That will need to be done theyre probably all gunked up. and another fine point vector made. You are going to need to rebuild the clutch. they are supposed to be check every 1500 miles i believe or something like that. The bearings in the weights will start to go and the springs get worn out. Those are all fine places to start. that machine isn't a dog at all just needs to be maintained like any other machine. After you answer the questions I just asked smallengineguy will probably jump in and help you out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The last time I seen a problem like this the chokes on the carbs were partially on. You should get yourself a service manual for this sled from Cat. I get a manual for every sled that i buy and read it, and get to know the sled. Knowledge is everything. It makes problems like yours, most of the time, an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
on top of all the other suggestions, have you tried draining the carbs, buddy of mine with same sled always had a problem with water in carbs, no matter how often he used drygas, never could figure out why, also he had a problem with the statorplate.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i rebuilt my suspension and clutch last year and i clean my carbs at the beggening of every season

·
Registered
570 Posts
Maybe you should have someone else check the sled out. If you had all that work done, that sled should be an excellent machine.

·
Registered
711 Posts
so is it me or do the ZRs not have carbs but EFI. I know the 99 and up are EFI, thus the carb situation is out. What year is it. The milage is right however. Cobra had one and he never got much better. I think its dealer time, and when you get it figured out you may get a little better. Also i rode one a lot and i was never impressed with the power. May be normal

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
there is a choice. they come either carb or efi.

·
Registered
12 Posts
if you are able to clean the carbs you must have some mechanic knowledge. i would call any artic dealer and ask the parts department what was the production setting of jet size and tell them your elevation of where you ride and ask them for the jet sizes for that elevation. then check this is a place to start.

and you would not belive how bad a sled rides when your unhappy with the performance and making it logicale to buy a new one. i live in the western rockies area and jetting is very important and will do what you talked about

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
well your gas mileage doesn;t sound that bad, except the plug thing i wierd, i know i don;t get 90 miles outta a tank, i play around too much, i find that runnning higher octance fuel, or adding octane boost helps my mileage alot and keeps my plugs clean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts