Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oldest son is finishing his last month at college, he is majoring in Mechanical Engineering. The ME folks are required to do a Senior Project. With the support of his uncle, who provided the funds for materials, tools, and a work place, Jeremy (on the right) and his partner, Jacob, built a hydraulically operated cattle squeeze chute. Going in, I thought it would be tough for them to get it done, but they did it! They had the chute ready for the Senior Project Symposium and it is operational! I'm pretty dazzled. And as a proud papa, just had to share :D

It's not quite a snowmobile, but dang... at 3200 lbs, that is one heavy-duty squeeze!

IMG_3295.jpg

·
Registered
574 Posts
For a prototype it looks commercial ready. Nice work. Did they get a chance to do a live demo?

·
Super Moderator
16,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They had it running without cows at the Symposium. It was supposed to be ready for branding this spring, but they missed that deadline a little. It works great. The only thing that still needs to happen is to reduce the hydraulic pressure with a pressure regulator. That part is still coming in.

The two boys were asked repeatedly if they were going to go into production or if they wanted to do another; both gave a resounding NO!! I think it was a bit more project than they anticipated. All in all, it's a great learning and life experience!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Slap a patent pending on it an maybe someone will license it. I suppose the college owns a share if any college owned resources were used.

·
Super Moderator
16,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was built off-site at his uncle's farm using all private resources. No public funds were used. A commercial version that size goes for about 12,000, this was built for less than 5,000 in materials. That free labor really adds up!

I did ask regarding their future plan, they are going to do the final paper and get their CAD design placed in the public domain so if anyone else wants to build one, that would be available.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts