Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an 07 Ski-Doo summit 800 that is leaking coolant into the pistons and into the crankcase. I’ve rebuilt the top end of the sled and yes I need a new head and gasket. Is their anyway I can drain that coolant from the case? When I rotate the clutch, I can hear liquid splashing around when the pistons move up and down.

·
Super Moderator
1,978 Posts
Welcome
Pull the hose off the water pump, it will make a mess but better than having anti in the cyl!

·
Super Moderator
17,297 Posts
If the coolant is on top of the pistons, after you follow KC's advice and drain the coolant, pull the plugs and pull the rope a bunch of times until no more vapor comes out. Then add some 2-stroke oil in the plug holes to coat everything with oil. Do this sooner rather than later to prevent rust on the rings and bearings...

·
Super Moderator
1,978 Posts
Don't be pulling it over without removing the plugs!
It will hydro-lock and can do damage to rods n crank and even break a piston!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So there is little coolant on top of the pistons that I can take some paper towels and soak it up. But how do I get it out of the case?

·
Super Moderator
17,297 Posts
When you pull the rope with the plugs out, the air from the carbs enters the crankcase and then up the transfer ports to the piston to be sent out the exhaust and plug holes. Most of the liquid will be carried out by repeated engine rotation. When you can no longer see any vapor or mist coming out the plug holes, almost all the antifreeze will be gone.

It is a good idea to add extra oil at the carbs to make sure things get completely coated. If you can get it started, that's the best way, as the intake fuel/air/oil will do an even more thorough job of evacuating the antifreeze. That is, IF you get the problem repaired... if it's still leaking, then the pistons will fill back up and it's back to square one.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I have the head off where I can see the pistons. I had the sled tipped on it’s side and was pulling the rope lightly to help remove that coolant. Will a bad head not make the sled start? Also tomorrow I’ll go out and keep pulling on that rope to get more out.

·
Super Moderator
1,978 Posts
Yes a bad head would but post a pic before you touch anything else.
The top of the piston is NOT the issue it's the bearings on the crank that will get rust!
I would rotate each piston to bottom and then fog it with half a can of WD40, then the rest in other side!
Rotate it back and forth a bunch, then with a rag over the top and the exhaust off, pull it see what comes out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts