Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have friends who swear by them just wondering what all of you have to say about yammies.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm.. I've been riding them since 1966. Total of 150,000 miles on cycles. Sleds since 1982. 25,000 miles.#1 "NO" break-downs..........................period. My sled I have now is a 01 V-max 700 with over 5,000 very trouble free miles. They may not be the fastest or the best riding sleds out there but they are IMHO. The best quality sled on the market. #2 And the new 4-strokes with the new skids should even-up the riding playing field. When the valve adjustments are every 24,000 miles I think that tells you just how far the engines can go. # 3 would be fit&finish. Sorry got carried away. MM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
sold

My 2001mountain max is the third yamaha ive had and the 84 enticer and 93 exciter are still rode every weekend.
The mountain max is my favorite, handles like the smaller sleds, but has the power to climb anything I want to try, compares well with the other sleds but I like the way it rides, smooth power and is awesome as a stock sled. The only problems Ive had has been my fault, lifted the hood and pulled a wiring harness out and burned it up on the pipe

·
Runnin Against The Wind!
8,036 Posts
Back when I purchased my sled I was pretty much a novice to the sport. I read consumer reports to help me with my decision. What I came up with was,
that Yamaha was rated the most dependable sled on the market and the most dependable starting sled. I purchased my V-Max and had not had a major problem.I am very happy with this purchase, as so other Yamaha owners I have talked to. I have even picked some brains at repair shops and have asked what the least brand that they service and they all have told me Yamaha. I will stick with Yamaha if I purchase again.:)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yamaha's are just Bulletproof i have a 1981 SRV the thing still starts on the first or second pull. I also have a 96 Vmax 600 Xt and so far it has been flawless. I know alot of people say well Yamaha's are behind on suspension technology and other things but ive been to alot of dealers infact last one i was at there must have been 15 skidoos and 20 atric cats and maybe 10 polaris and 1 yamaha for repair. now thats dam good.

·
Runnin Against The Wind!
8,036 Posts
DarkStar31 said:
Yamaha's are just Bulletproof i have a 1981 SRV the thing still starts on the first or second pull. I also have a 96 Vmax 600 Xt and so far it has been flawless. I know alot of people say well Yamaha's are behind on suspension technology and other things but ive been to alot of dealers infact last one i was at there must have been 15 skidoos and 20 atric cats and maybe 10 polaris and 1 yamaha for repair. now thats dam good.
I haven't done anything except recently put exhaust gaskets on my 94 V-Max. Your right that is dam good!:D

·
Registered
147 Posts
That article just makes me smile, and feel bad for all the poor bastards that bashed the Yammi's before they were even released. Muahahahahah!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would say that the only thing that was holding me back in the past about yamaha, is their suspension. Now that they finally upped the suspension, that should top it. I am getting a RS RAGE next season..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yamaha's are just a more reliable sled than others. I think my friend has a 80 something 540. We beat the crap out of that thing, jumped it so much and it would still start up everytime and was never breaking down

·
Registered
31 Posts
hey guys just wanted to tell ya yamaha is garbage and get a bombardier.yamaha has 1000 wit 120hp bombardier got a 1000 wit 168hp.

·
Registered
31 Posts
yahadriver23 said:
Yamaha's are just a more reliable sled than others. I think my friend has a 80 something 540. We break the crap out of taht thing, jumped it so much and it would still start up everytime and was never breaking down

That yammie 120hp will last years longer than that 165hp smoker. And it doesn't smell either. Besides each to their own.. MM.

·
Registered
81 Posts
...and it'll cost less to run and get better gas mileage.

Compare apples to apples...The RS Rage and the RS Vector (973cc 4-cycle triple) have 120hp. The RX-1 (998cc 4-cycle quad) has 145hp.

Nobody's arguing that 2-cycle engines generate more power per CC. But there are other factors that make 4-cycles a better choice for long-term ownership.

·
Registered
228 Posts
i wouldn't mind a four stoke, but yahmaha does not offer a nice light wieght, sled for the ditches. redline was suposed to have a four stroke model, a 950 v twin i think, that sled would have been nuts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
sry i ment to say we *beat the crap out of that thing... went back and fixed it... and for that guy who keeps saying not to get a 1000 four stroke from yamaha cause they got no power, the ski-doo 4 stroke is only producing 80 horses, and thats also a 1000cc

·
Registered
23 Posts
DarkStar31 said:
ok i wud have to agree with u on sayin that yes yamaha does have reliable sleds but also consider this when lookin in that shop. how many people own ski-doos and arctic cats and polaris. now tink about how many people own yamahas. face it more people own those 3 sleds than do yamis so of course theres gunna be more in the shop.
and for that post above this about the 1000 crap. the new mach z 1000 puts out 165 hp buddy.and im not sure about the 1000 motor that they put in the mountain sled. but remember also i wud have to guess that the summit wud be much less weight than yamis mountain sled. correct me if im wrong on ne of this but try not to be so brand loyal and actually look at the facts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
He was clearly referring to the 4-cycle SkiDoo engine (the one in the 2004+ Legend), not the 2-cycle one in the Mach Z. Nobody's arguing that the Rotax 2-Tec 1000 has balls! ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
y in the world wud compare the legend. the sled is built for old people that dont exactly ride all that hard. its a luxury sled thats made for enjoyable trail ridin. its not made to put out numbers. thats like taking a drag car vs. a cadalac and sayin well the drag cars faster of course cuz it was made for performance. and guess what the legend wasnt exactly made for performance its made for a smooth clean and enjoyable ride. if ur gunna talk performance the compare performance sleds vs. performance sleds and the mach z is a performance sled

·
Registered
23 Posts
and also i believe that huge car lookin tink called the elite or sumtin has like 145 or 150 hp to and thats a 4stroke.and sadly that matches ur yami for horse.not sayin its gunna perform as good but it still has the same horse

1 - 20 of 73 Posts