Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting my first own sled but I am wondering what size motor would be good for me? I am looking at Polaris XC SP and they are available in 500, 600, 700, and 800. So how do I know which one would be suitable for me? I would be using the sled just for fun riding with some fast runs, but not for competition racing.

I want a fast sled, but I don't want to pay for a sled more than I really need and waste the money. Any suggestion? :) Thanks!

·
Registered
711 Posts
New sled for you. How long have you been riding or is this the first? My opinion if you are mosty trail riding but you want power for the strait and some powder, you will be more than ok with a 600. if you wanted a mountain sled, at least a 700. 700 gets better milage too, but if its just an xc sp 600, that is what i woudl get if i was getting a trail sled

dano

·
Registered
11 Posts
Food for thought

I run a 1992 500 EFI SKS. This machine will easily hit 90 plus MPH and get there very fast. How fast do you need to go? Do you need to go faster than the next guy? If so do you have a valid will? How about fuel economy? Bigger displacement is higher fuel consumption. 1 or 2 mile per gal. for a sled is big economy gains since 10 to 12 MPG is normal on the smaller displacement machines such as 440 cc and 500 cc. Cost is much lower on lower displacement machines.
It seems from what I read in these forums, people are never satisfied to simply fly low. They want to fly low and and hit mach 1 first. Any one have a mature good reason to risk your neck to be better than the next guy? Lets hear from all you speed demons that like to live fast.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm only worried about being faster than the next guy when it comes to the drags on the ice. Just so happens I use the same sled on the trails. But your absolutely right, people get hurt when they're just trying to be competitive and show off. Buy a sled to have fun, not just to try to be better than a friend.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I thought that I'd bring it back up since I was the one who started it. Thanks everyone for your replies. To answer your questions, I have been riding my uncle's Indy XLT Limited (600) sled for several years since I was 12 years old. Very powerful and fast sled. Also I am NOT looking for a sled to be faster than the next guy. It is just that it would be my first sled and I want to make sure that I get the one that will completely satisfy me at once. If I get my own sled, I might take it to somewhere on a trail, and it could be a mountain run. I never went riding somewhere else other than on my family's property so it is hard for me to tell.

Right now I am looking at either 600 or 700. One of nice feature on the '04 Polaris 700 is that they have DET system which is a computer that adjust the engine performance such as bad gas, etc. Is that a big advantage that I should consider?

Also I am a little confused about fuel mileage, one member stated that 700 will get better mileage, others said vice versa? :confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts