Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All ! 2003 Polaris Classic 500 just installed a used working secondary clutch. The original had 4 washers and when I installed the new one it had a lot of free play ( with all 4 washers). I removed 2 and clutch install was on tight. Question is should all original washers be on and is the free play for belt self aligning and ok to have play? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,809 Posts
There should be a bit of free play. The main reason is to keep the jackshaft bearing from being side-loaded. Second to that, it helps align the belt.

When installing a clutch, use shims on the inside and outside until you have the belt aligned. If you don't have electric start, take a straight edge and put it so that it is flush with the back of the primary and extends so you can measure the distance from the straight edge to the back of the secondary. Move shims until that measurement is 5/8". If you remove a shim from the outside, you will have to add one to the inside, and vice versa. The secondary should have .002" to .004" and should not be tight against the jackshaft bearing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There should be a bit of free play. The main reason is to keep the jackshaft bearing from being side-loaded. Second to that, it helps align the belt.

When installing a clutch, use shims on the inside and outside until you have the belt aligned. If you don't have electric start, take a straight edge and put it so that it is flush with the back of the primary and extends so you can measure the distance from the straight edge to the back of the secondary. Move shims until that measurement is 5/8". If you remove a shim from the outside, you will have to add one to the inside, and vice versa. The secondary should have .002" to .004" and should not be tight against the jackshaft bearing.
Thanks BC, I will replace the two washer (shims) that were on the original and measure the float. Just seemed too much when I originally the clutch in. I could pull the clutch on the jack shaft in and out a bit with all the original washers and spacer, but will replace and measure. Thanks for the tech help!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts