Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been tinkering with this sled over the last couple of months and trying to finish the seat. The seat itself was in decent shape (no rips), just had a rotten board on the bottom. Have replace the board and was trying to pull the leather around to get staples in the bottom. The first side was pretty easy (what a surprise) and am having touble with other side. Is there any simple trick of the trade to press the seat down enought to get the leather over the wood board to get staples in place.
thanks
Rob

·
Mach1 92' 617 & 94' 670
183 Posts
can u do inside a heated area? cold leather wont stretch for you. Other than that try some good leather conditioner, or even horse saddle conditioner (the best out there)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can u do inside a heated area? cold leather wont stretch for you. Other than that try some good leather conditioner, or even horse saddle conditioner (the best out there)
Thanks. I was working in the basement, somewhat warm. I think the seat needs some conditioner anyway. I am sure there are local shoe or leather places to find some saddle conditioner.
Rob

·
Registered
223 Posts
When I replaced the board I never had enough leather to pull around the board to staple on the bottom so I had to staple on the side of the 3/8" board. Having the seat upside down and the board on top I held some pressure on the board with my foot as my brother stapled down the cover to the side of the board. Put in as many staples as you can so it holds and you should be good. I have driven mine about 60 miles since I redid the board/seat and it has not pulled out yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took to a local Seat Cover guy, I think I waited to long after taking apart, seems like the leather has really shrunk, we are going to try and stretch tomorrow, hope works???
Rpb

When I replaced the board I never had enough leather to pull around the board to staple on the bottom so I had to staple on the side of the 3/8" board. Having the seat upside down and the board on top I held some pressure on the board with my foot as my brother stapled down the cover to the side of the board. Put in as many staples as you can so it holds and you should be good. I have driven mine about 60 miles since I redid the board/seat and it has not pulled out yet.

·
Mach1 92' 617 & 94' 670
183 Posts
As long as you apply the conditioner multiple times, onver a few days, you should get that leather to steach. but you already stapled it down, so the conditioner will prevent it from tearing due to being soo tight.

Good Luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts