Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 challenger model jet boat with the 110hp rotax in it, does anyone else have a boat/seadoo with this engine, what do you do to start it, i still haven;t found a real good way to start it. Can take a long time sometimes, What do you guys do when your starting it?

·
back in the game
2,364 Posts
not sure if this helps or not, but my neighbours have a 130hp rotax in a sea-doo, and it takes forever to start, no matter what you do

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
There must be something misadjusted, etc. If new, they should start right up (if well maintained, if old also). If it's under warranty, bring it back to the dealer and have em fix it right.

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think you just gotta get gas into them, we just lay on the choke and maybe a little throttle, once gas gets in it starts well, just trickey i guess. We had it at the dealer for a check up and asked the mech about it and he said its just the way they are. other than that i'm very impressed with that unit, theres a little dead spot in the powerband at a low rpm, but with practice you can skip over it and take off quick. Mech said thats a characteristic of the engine too. Gonna try using more throttle maybe this year to start it, i've seen the seadoo riders pump the throttle a bit when they are starting....

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have the same engine in my 96 seadoo xp and the only thing you can do fro the starting issue (assuming that it is a cold concern) is to install a primer kit. then they start right up. as far as your dead spot goes does it hesitate or does it feel like it's getting to much gas. if its a hesitation the you have a lean condition. not sure if the carbs are the same as mine (super BNs) but i have found high popoff pressure and disformed gaskets/diaphrams in the carbs and pump. transversely if popoff pressure is not enough then it will run to rich. also i have never heard of any kind of water craft motor that has a characteristic of a deadspot (bad selling point don't you think). good luck

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info, ya the dead spot it seems like its a lean spot at i'd say just under 1/2 throttle, i'll know more next month when i get it out again. What can you tell me about the priming kit, how much do you prime, where do you install it, etc etc.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Don't they have the needle and clip assembly in the carb like a sled? You can move the clip down one slot to give it more mid range power?

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, i'll be checking that out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i don't think the carbs are the same as the sleds but a simple phone call to the dealer would tell us or if you could post a picture of the carbs i could tell you some things to try. as far as the priming kit goes usually it's just a universal kit and you could mount the primer anywere but the longer the hose the more priming pumps it would reguire (once the priming pump has fuel to it). if you do have the water craft super BN carbs and your dead hole is around half throttle then i would say that you have a high speed jetting issue or a dirty venturi, otherwise if it is a snowmobile style carb then moving the clip down one notch should work. let me know
signed curious

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok i'll see what i can do, its getting busy around here, yard work to do and grad and what not so keep your eyes open i'll post when i find out.

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i put a primer in the line with a check valve, i'll let you know how she runs after may long weekend, hope its nice, then i can find out for sure where the dead spot is and have more info on it, last summer was a long time ago lol.

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'll see what happens, hope all you can get out for a rip this weekend too, I hope its nice out.

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry guys, no news on the boat, went to the lake this weekend but it was either raining or cold or really windy, came home a day early even... going to try for next weekend.:mad:

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok i've had the boat out for 2 quick rips, the first time, it never had a dead spot, and it sure is starting much better! thanks guys. just today i had it out and there seems to be a dead spot at about 2500rpms, now what it has on it for carbs i haven't checked, but i'll let ya know, if you have ne ideas plz help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts