Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got a new sled for the lady. Has a new shockwave 121 x 0.91 track on it. I can see it has marks in lugs that look like crosses....are they index marks for the screw in type studs like from igrip?
Rectangle Composite material Font Art Tints and shades

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Yeah but no one uses screw in studs on a snowmobile that I have ever seen. Yeah used them on quads and dirt bikes but never a snowmobile.

What model and year did you get her? Also 1" studs for a .91" track and 1" is the biggest you can go with a liquid cooled with the front center radiator being right there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah but no one uses screw in studs on a snowmobile that I have ever seen. Yeah used them on quads and dirt bikes but never a snowmobile.

What model and year did you get her? Also 1" studs for a .91" track and 1" is the biggest you can go with a liquid cooled with the front center radiator being right there.
Ice storm, ice ripper, ice attack, ice cobra....some tracks now come indexed for them too....igrip and bergstrom both carry the screw in studs...

Got her a 2022 Indy 121 550

I really dont want the weight and bulk of conventional studs, just wanted a little grip. I have a iceripper on my mxz xrs 850 and love it!

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Those are not screw in studs, that is a completely different setup. The tracks are molded around the stud and they work well.

When you say screw in studs these are screw in studs. Never seen them on any snowmobile in the midwest in 42 years of riding. Now the quads, dirt bikes and cars that race on ice...yeah all day long. I wouldn't put those kind of studs in a track with it spinning like that and the possible bending of the lugs. Too easy to rip out.

Plant Tool Font Auto part Metal

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Those are not screw in studs, that is a completely different setup. The tracks are molded around the stud and they work well.

When you say screw in studs these are screw in studs. Never seen them on any snowmobile in the midwest in 42 years of riding. Now the quads, dirt bikes and cars that race on ice...yeah all day long. I wouldn't put those kind of studs in a track with it spinning like that and the possible bending of the lugs. Too easy to rip out.

View attachment 66391
Totally understand that the factory ones are most likely better....if a screw in one would bend I believe it would be the same fate of a factory one. I do agree the screw in may come out easier, especially if care was not taken to put in....but think for a second realistically(im not trying to be negative or disrespectful towards you at all), a tire rpm is going to be a lot faster than a track rpm, hitting same crap if not harder than snow conditions (like rocks, roots, hard ground)...Im not too worried either on the tunnel...its a 550 fan!

Camso makes tracks ready to receive screw ins now...

Igrip was at Big East Powersports show selling their product for tracks for the last few shows, and actually never really paid mind to them because I always had and iceripper track....now they have my interest...but also realistically, the screws arent much cheaper....just easier to install and alot less bulk! Not sure which way Im gonna go yet, might not have no choice and have to go traditional.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Yes I get what you are saying screwing a screw in stud into a tire it has a lot more meat to grab onto vs a snowmobile track lug. And nope no disrespect taken or sent towards you as well. I get what you are saying.

I paid 50 bucks for 1" carbide studs for a 96 pack last year with round light weight backers from eBay. I've bought 3 sets so far and have a set installed on the one and no complaints at all. With the light weight backers using a ton of less weight then the normal ones it was a no brainer to me. I got two sets sitting with another new set going in the Indy 500 once I heal up from my 3rd surgery in 40 days. Not like I can exactly get down on the ground with two of those being major knee surgeries,lol.

Going to keep watch on the guy who sells them and see if he ends up with more because at that price shipped they are worth it. Some have claimed the head is 7/8" but eh idc they do the job and are carbide tipped.

He only has dark green left but I know last year he had more colors and sold out of studs then got in more.

·
Registered
26,387 Posts
I have Not Yet used the screw in studs, and depending on application I think they are great!
That said I am NOT putting them on a 200+HP sled!
40hp Fanner NO Problem!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts