Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 1996 Yamaha V-Max 600 i have a hard time keeping it from darting every where it posibialy could use a new track but it is not in that bad of condition if anyone was exprencing the same problem and fixed it could you help me out cause its a scary ride

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
118 Posts
may sound stupid, but check the toe-in of the skis. the ski tips should be the same distance apart as the rear of the ski's, or up to a 1/8th inch tipped IN as a general rule.

also check the track adjustments. dad had a 600VMAX he sold last year that had some light damage. (traler fell off truck) and it darted all over the place until the ski adjustments were fixed and the track was put back in adjustment and alignment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANK YOU AND IF ANYONE ELSE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE POST

·
GIT ER DONE
312 Posts
Make sure the track is tensioned properly.

Next check how much sled weight is on the skis. With the sled sitting still ( easier to check in garage instead of on the snow ) , move the handle bar back and forth . If it moves too easy you need to adjust the rear suspension front straps to add a little weight / force on the skis.

Do the above test on your other units and see if they feel different than this one.

·
Registered
177 Posts
check your track and make sure it's alined properly. sound like it's more in the front though. like raider44TT, said, check the distance of your ski's from back to the front. hows your wear rods? if none of this helps you might have to pull your skid and tighten your limiter strap a little.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you i think they will help:)

Ryan

·
Registered
427 Posts
Raider44TT said:
may sound stupid, but check the toe-in of the skis. the ski tips should be the same distance apart as the rear of the ski's, or up to a 1/8th inch tipped IN as a general rule.

also check the track adjustments. dad had a 600VMAX he sold last year that had some light damage. (traler fell off truck) and it darted all over the place until the ski adjustments were fixed and the track was put back in adjustment and alignment.
I've ridden and wrenched for quite a few years and never have I had a sled that handled better with ANY toe in. The thing is when your sled leans to the outside in a corner or dart and you have toe-in, the sled naturally turns more into the corner. Now when you correct and the sled leans the other way, that ski too tends to turn oposite of the lean.

Go ahead and play with toe but my usual method of adjustment is to take the slop out of the steering by pulling the ski tips together and then set the skis parallel. This will end up giving some toe-out while at rest. The more slop, the more toe-out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts