Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the world of snowmobiling. I just recently bought a 1992 RXL 650 that is bone stock other than it has been picked. The guy I bought the sled from used it to travel from his campsite to his ice shack for fishing. It has just over 3,000 miles on it and is extremely clean for being 12 years old.

The only sled that I have ever ridden was a 1994 Indy 500 and I had a blast on that sled and it seemed fairly peppy. I guess my question is since I am still waiting for the first snowfall in Maine is what should I expect out of the RXL as far as performance is concerned. I am taking it into a dealer tomorrow to have it serviced just as a routine check. One other question I guess would be are there any modifications that can be done to these sleds that would enhance performance and pickup.

Any questions would be greatly appreciated.

I plan on using the sled to zip through some of these Maine trails that are located around my house.

thanks again

Kevin

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you haven't ridden it yet how do you know that it needs more pick up? The RXL's that I rode with 8 or 9 years ago seemed to be pretty nice machines for the time. I think they are about 110 HP. I really don't recommend doing a lot of mods on a 12 year old sled. I would not do anything other than a clutch kit.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Hey where in Maine are you located? I live in Westbrook. We got about a millimeter of snow yesterday but its good to see the snow fly!

·
Super Moderator
18,403 Posts
My 1990 650 engine is tons faster than the chassis is. One thing you can do is update the skis, if it has the original skis on it, there are much better ones out there that help prevent darting and give you a great ride. That era of sleds needs a lot of TLC on the shocks too, the suspension is pretty limited and when you have shocks that are starting to go, it really affects the ride.

If I remember right, the RXL is fuel injected? Any mods to the pipes will make it necessary to have mods to the injectors and the computer, and may not be worth the money.

I'm with YamahaVector, get it checked out, get the maintenance done, and see what it's got, it may surprise you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback

Thanks all for the feedback on the RXL. I just loaded it on the trailer today and took it to get serviced for the season. It was actually the first time that I have moved it under its own power and it definitely seems to have some punch when you hit the throttle. I already have plans on changing the skis. As for where I am in Maine. I live in Hampden - just west of Bangor. I have a trail right across the street that I can ride on once we get some decent snow. I might have to cut a small path beside my mailbox so I have a direct path to the trail, but that is why we have brush trimmers. Thanks again for the info.

Kevin

·
Registered
42 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, RXLs come stock with Fox shocks all the way around. At least that's what my dealer said.

From what I've heard, they're mean machines when they run...but when they're having probs (like mine is) they're a real PITA to figure it out.

Jon

·
Registered
41 Posts
The 92 won't likely have fox shocks on it, I think it was 93 with the intro of the XLT that they started putting Fox on the higher end sleds.

Nothing will ever beat the sound of the 650 engine

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Spiderman,

You are definitely right in regards to the nice growl the engine puts out when you hit the throttle. I am anxious to get it back home from being serviced and wish it would hurry and snow so I can do more than just park it in the shed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't touch that RXL!!!! They cost alot to modify and they don't run too much better. Plus, you would be hard pressed to find a chip for the CDI box for less than a go-zillion bucks. The best thing you can do is keep the battery charged and put in a new one every fall.
I've had 2 RXL's and they are the most reliable sled out there, if they are stock and have a good battery. Don't tow it on an open trailer because the connectors under the hood aren't weather tight. Once they corode, from salt, they start to have less than perfect circuts and that is what makes them run bad. The computer starts to get bad signals and it goes down hill from there.
As for the performance, they flat out rock. I run even with any 700 on the big end, tripple or twin. I've had my sled clocked at 105mph in the quarter mile. (that's on a radar gun). They always start, sound great and never stop pulling across the lake. You'll love it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts