Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1980 Jag has been running GREAT since I cleaned the carbs a couple weeks ago. (oops, I meant carb, not carbs).

It used to foul plugs all the time, and it ran real rough before that. So... I expected to see nice brown, clean, plugs when I checked them. Instead, I found slightly wet and black plugs. What's up with that?

The owner's manual explains only 4 settings on the carb: choke cable, throttle cable, idle stop, and idle mixture. I keep reading here that black plugs mean it is running rich. How would I adjust that???

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay SEG... you're talking WAY over my head. :D

Where's the slide needle clip? If you can explain it, I can do the work.

BTW, spent the night in the garage replacing parts from the tree-kiss my son did last Saturday. Couldn't believe it... I ordered parts from Alpha-Sports Monday morning, and they were on the doorstep when I got home yesterday!

We got a couple inches of thick wet snow last night, so I can get out and ride again. It's just what the trails needed!

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Take the slide out of the carb. See the long needle in the middle of the slide? That can be removed by getting the big slide spring out of the way and pushing the needle up through the slide. There is a little E-clip on the needle with 5 different slots you can put it in (most likely it's in the middle now). Move the clip UP to lean it out, down to richen. I meant UP one notch in the post above.....;)

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks SEG! You didn't waste your time, because I always appreciate learning something (I can apply it to my other 2 sleds).

However, the Jag is a 1980 (read: "dinosaur") and has a single carb... and a butterfly at that! No slide in that baby. Can I even adjust it? Maybe going to a different plug would help?

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
runs great__ plugs black not brown

I have an '80 Pantera and had some of the same problems that you describe. ypu should be runnin the ngk br9es plugs. To get the best from the mikuni butterfly carb make the folloeing adjustments. On the right side of the carb. next to the airbox end is the midrange mixture screw. Set this to between 3/4 and 1 full turn out. For the high speed screw on the top next to the engine end, set to 1and1/2 turns to start. Addjust as needed in 1/4 turn increments. If you still have plug trdoubles put a hotter plug in the fan side cylender.:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts