Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok any of you who follow this site close have read my posts about clutch problems on my 95 xcr 600. well its back to ridable form but I do have one concern. when i press the throttle down hard the clutch engages but the rpm's will spin up to slightly over 9000, this is over 300 more that the max listed. After about a second they will drop back down to around 8000 but will spike every time i nail the throttle. what do i do to help this and get it back down?

·
Registered
141 Posts
traction??????any studs?......you might be spinning causing the extra rpm's then when you get traction it'll lower back down

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yamahabob said:
secondary clutch sounds like it needs some adjusting
thats what i am asking. what do I need to do? tighten the spring or loosen the spring. I actually did both and it is still going to high.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i actually set them on the fourth hole and it went over and set it on the second hole and it still went over. i just need to know if i should buy a stiffer spring or a lighter one. Unless someone else has another suggestion of what could be wrong.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i dont know if you know this or not, but on each of the holes there is a number. so whichever numbers u have the spring ends placed, you add them up and multiply it by 10 to get the degreese. knowing what u have it set at will help to see if its to high/ low or a spring is needed

·
Registered
177 Posts
have you ever replaced the springs in both clutches? they do get weak over time. have you had either clutch apart and cleaned them. making sure the weight move freely. same with the rolers. all these little things can affect rpm's

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the clutch rollers and weights have been rebuilt twice in the last 2 years. I havnt replaced the springs because I am thinking about getting a clutch kit anyway.

also i do know about the numbers on the helix. That is what i am trying to figure out. I need to know whether a tighter spring or looser spring setting will lower the rpm's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same problem on my XLT, and I had to change the weights on the primary. Get the weight chart at teh dealer and get one step up and you should be good.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok i will try that but please answer this question. Will tightening or loosening to secondary spring change rpm's and which one will drop them?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts