Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 VT600C Venture (Long track) triple. Took it out for 200kms ride yesterday and was wondering in the RPMs are normal.

It engages at ~5000rpm. While riding at ~60-70kmh, RPM is ~7000. Does this sound right?

Thanks,
Vince

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
engagement should be closer to 4000 and full shift out should be around 8500. might be time to service the clutches and confirm whats in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
engagement should be closer to 4000 and full shift out should be around 8500. might be time to service the clutches and confirm whats in there.
Thanks.

I was finally able to speak to a local Yamaha mechanic about this late yesterday. According to him, my RPM numbers are par for this sled. He did mention that this is a common complaint and that they can fix the RPM issues somehow. He didn't say what needed to be done but said that after the fix is completed I could expect more like a 4500 engagement and a 500RPM drop at cruise speeds.

Having said this, I'm still looking for the official Yamaha specs with respect to this. I wonder if the maintenance manuals would have the recommended RPM engagement numbers etc or not?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
the numbers i gave you were factory yamaha specs for your sled. by full shift, when you pin the throttle the tach should hit at or slightly below the 8500 and slowly climb no further than that, assuming your not spinning the track. the higher engagement can be adjusted with a new spring, different spring, or addition/removal of shims or simply cleaning the clutchs, as long as the wear components are in god shape. your cruising rpm can be adjusted via the secondary helix angle, the belt or the belt deflection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the numbers i gave you were factory yamaha specs for your sled. by full shift, when you pin the throttle the tach should hit at or slightly below the 8500 and slowly climb no further than that, assuming your not spinning the track. the higher engagement can be adjusted with a new spring, different spring, or addition/removal of shims or simply cleaning the clutchs, as long as the wear components are in god shape. your cruising rpm can be adjusted via the secondary helix angle, the belt or the belt deflection.
That's a very good reply, many thanks.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts