Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 1998 xc 700 with a liberty 700 non ves and it’s carbureted it also has an slp pipe and can and aftermarket keihin carbs with jets for the pipe I bought it like this (not a fan of the keihin carbs) and it also has a boost bottle from slp problem is it seems to have trouble accelerating past mid to high rpms I’ll go to hit it (full throttle) and it will engage and begin to move but it gets stuck at like 5500 rpms for like a minute and then it eventually climbs the rpms again and rests at about 8500 9000 rpms can’t seem to figure it out originally thought it was in the clutch since it had a broken spring in the primary replaced it with the same color spring no luck I was thinking maybe a fuel delivery issue but it wouldn’t be the fuel pump since I just replaced it maybe a line is clogged? Carb work? Secondary clutch? Primary clutch?

·
Registered
26,123 Posts
Welcome
When you replaced the fuel pump did you get the correct fuel rate?
If your pump was say 3 lt a min and you replaced it with a 1.5 it may starve till it can catch up

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome
When you replaced the fuel pump did you get the correct fuel rate?
If your pump was say 3 lt a min and you replaced it with a 1.5 it may starve till it can catch up
I’m thinking they are the same because i had the same problem prior to replacing the fuel pump original reason for replacement was because one of the nipple broke off the old pump

·
Super Moderator
18,333 Posts
those are spendy pumps! Because the oil feeds into the fuel pump instead of the carbs, you have to have that type of pump. Keihins pwk39's were standard on that year 700. The factory keihins are not set up for oiling as the oil is already in the fuel when it gets to the carb. I was not much of a fan of the Keihins either, as they did not wear as well as the VM Mikuni carbs.

Have you tried moving the jet needle e-clip up or down a notch? I would try down first (makes the mid-range richer, as it raises the needle). Better to be too rich than too lean! You may also want to clean the pilot jet really well, a bit of varnish could be making the jet smaller than it should be. Normally, that's not much of an issue, but the pilot jet does meter a bit of fuel as you are accelerating...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts