Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am swinging towards a summit for my next purchase of a sled
i would like to get some input on how the engines are ??
the 670,s and 700's are more what i would be leaning towards
although i wouldnt rule out a 580 or 600 if the price were right
the 800's are probably i little moe than i am looking for as i have no
intentions of trying to climb chutes and crazy stuff like that !
how about is there one engine thats is particularlly problematic??
like the polaris 800???

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
the 583/670 are rotary valve engines... they have a rotary style plate that blocks off the intake ports between the carbs and chambers to help with throttle response and low-end.
the 600/700/800 are all case-reed engines. they use the more common (now) reeds to do the same thing. easier to tune/improve as well.

the rotax engines are all good, but like other manufacturers they do have issues. on the 600-800 twins, carb boots are a big problem. they dry rot and crack. only real problem for across the board.

the 583/670 are in the s chassis doo, and the 600-800 are in the zx chassis. zx is lighter and alot of people claim they handle better, especially off trail. engine choice will be kinda determined for you by year. if you want a sled with exhaust valves, you are looking at late 90s 583/670, with the 99 summit 670x being the most powerful, but still in the s chassis. if you are looking for a lighter twin, 99+ in the zx chassis is the way to go. electronic reverse? that is 01 (i think, maybe 02) and later. the doo engines started making more power in 01/02 area as well. the 700 is what i have. makes almost as much power as the 800, better on gas. i would think you need to decide on a chassis first, then you can be pointed alittle more in the way of engine choices......

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had a 99 summit 600 for a little while, and the engine was good. It was dependable, and had more power than my 2001 AC 600.,,, but for me it still wasn't as good of a sled. I wasnt a big fan of how it road and handled.... but the engine was great.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input thats why i asked !!
i have been looking at both chassis , from about '97 to 01' is what i am finding in my price range. leaning towards the summit x (670 ) or a 700 summit high mark type sled (00-03) my nephew bought a '06 600 summit he loves it !! he is a little guy though (125lbs)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts