Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed all the lights were kind of dim when I started the sled tonight. They suddenly got dimmer as soon as I got back in the woods. Turned around and headed back home and they went out for a few seconds, then came back on very dim. Just bright enough to make it home without hitting any trees. The engine runs great and starts right up so it doesn't seem to be affecting the ignition.
Are there any common electrical issues with these sleds? How do I go about testing the regulator and stator?

·
Registered
211 Posts
the regulator is what I would start with. If it was the stator then there should be some ignition problems.

The volage regulator is not that expensive I have an extra for back up. both of my sleds use the same one.

·
Registered
321 Posts
to check regulator. set your meter to 25V AC. black lead to ground, red lead to yellow. don't unplug but probe connection. Start sled. from idle to 3000rpm meter should read 11-15. if it is above that replace regulator. if it is below that, unplug regulator and start engine and see if lights will light.. if they do,replace reg. in this test do not increase rpms and leave run only long enough to see if lights come on or you will blow all of your bulbs.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
voltage regulator most the time when it goes bad it will send to much power to the lights then burn them out. it sounds like the lighting coil that is on your stator.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
voltage regulator most the time when it goes bad it will send to much power to the lights then burn them out. it sounds like the lighting coil that is on your stator.
That's what I was thinking. Will check the regulator though and probably change it out anyway, keeping the old one as a spare if it's good.
What kind of a job is changing the stator?

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
just need to get or make a puller for the flywheel. it's not that bad

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a chance to check out the electrical system today and was pleased to discover that it's the regulator, not the stator that is making my lights dim. With the engine running I just pulled the yellow wire off the regulator at idle and the lights became much brighter....exactly like they used to be. I didn't rev the engine because that would probably over-power and burn out every bulb in the system.
Hope Shade Tree retail is open on Sunday so I can get a new regulator and be riding tomorrow night. We just got a foot of snow in the last 36 hours.:D

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still bummed on electrical

Well, I've been through 2 aftermarket regulators. They work great for a day or two then burn up. Looked up specs on the 94 XLT electrical and the manual states it's a 170 watt system. A little more research and I found that most aftermarket regulators are only rated at 150 watts.:confused: Local dealers don't have oem regulators in stock and anything online is at least 3 days away. :mad:
My question is, has anyone found a universal regulator that is rated for 170 watts or more and will work on these systems?
I'm tempted to try to build my own since the oem Polaris units run about $60.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't believe no one else has had to deal with this with all the threads about regulator issues. There has to be something universal out there that is reasonably priced and readily available that will work for this.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I just had to change mine this year, same symptoms. So far so good, but i've heard of a lot of aftermarket regulators not working even from the start.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Basically came up with 3 options.
1 Buy an OEM regulator online since the local dealers here can't/won't get one for weeks.
2 Build one at about 60% the cost of an OEM online.
3 Found a couple on ebay for other applications that are less expensive but similar and might work.

I decided to get the OEM from Polarisman.com and should have it in a day or two. I'm also tempted to buy one off ebay for <$20 that is for a70's MGB or MG Midget that looks like it would work....just to try it out. Would be great to have an inexpensive alternative to OEM that actually works.:cool:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Basically came up with 3 options.
1 Buy an OEM regulator online since the local dealers here can't/won't get one for weeks.
2 Build one at about 60% the cost of an OEM online.
3 Found a couple on ebay for other applications that are less expensive but similar and might work.

I decided to get the OEM from Polarisman.com and should have it in a day or two. I'm also tempted to buy one off ebay for <$20 that is for a70's MGB or MG Midget that looks like it would work....just to try it out. Would be great to have an inexpensive alternative to OEM that actually works.:cool:
no no!! dont buy any electrical parts for British cars!!! They are terrible!!! I used to own a Brit car repair shop back in the 80's...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no no!! dont buy any electrical parts for British cars!!! They are terrible!!! I used to own a Brit car repair shop back in the 80's...
Got to be better than the junk that I got from Tiwan....claims 200 watt but actually is rated for 150....lasts for about 4 hours of riding and fries so you waste your light bulbs too. I agree that the UK doesn't have a good handle on electronics but worth a try for $20 instead of $60!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Maybe the Brits have gotten better, but Brian is right. I used to keep an extra regulator and rectifier around for my 70's Triumph motorcycle because they'd usually last less than a month. Same with BSA's, and Triumph and MG cars.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got my new and improved regulator today from polarisman.com. It's a totally new design & manufacturer and requires some drilling/modification to the sled to mount it. Instructions for modification are included. Seems much more substantial. We'll see how it lasts.

·
Registered
197 Posts
great

please report back and let us know

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
great

please report back and let us know
2 1/2 hours and about 24 miles today with no issues.:thumbsup: Did smell a little of hot plastic for the first 10 minutes or so but I also put a new belt on it so that may have been the mold release burning off, not sure.:dunno: Plan to ride about twice as much tomorrow so I should know for sure by the end of the day.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another 30 some miles including a quite a few 65mph+ passes across a big field yesterday and the regulator held up without a problem. Kudos to Polaris for improving these regulators.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts