Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, its probably been since never that I've posted anything here.
I've got this 2000 Skidoo Formula Deluxe 700. The reverse went out...like gears grinding! (Wasn't me, though). I'd like to get the reverse going again, because me, being darn near 62, its getting a little hard to shooshel that big-ass sled around when it becomes stuck, or whatever.
Has anyone got any advice they can forward to me as to what parts I'm going to need to get this thing going, in reverse again? I did take the chain case apart to see if I could see what was going on, beside the obvious, teeth ground off. I did look at a chain case exploded view of the parts, but not sure what all I was going to need to make repairs properly.
I'm not snowmobile mechanic by any means, but you put tools and parts in my hands, and some directions as to how to go about repairs, I'll get it done.
The sled is in pretty good shape for its age, and runs very well. Did I say that it runs VERY WELL???!!!, (actually it surprised me as to how well it ran when I did a drag race against some 2015 polaris hotrods).
so again, any advise, tips, or what ever will help,
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
anytime you have a failure like that, you should inspect or replace the bearings.

Little pieces of metal can get inside the main bearings and just ruin your day for good. I know, this makes it a lot of work, but would be worth it to have that piece of mind. Basically you have to remove the other half of the chaincase so you can press the bearings out. They are usually not it so tight that you can just press them out with a large socket and a convincer (hammer).

Other than that, I would just replace the worn parts. Anything that rotates and looks worn down.

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
Yep pull the cover with sled on it's side and clean it!
Most likely the Dogs that engage are gone!
Not a Doo guy or I'd post a link to diagram

1 - 3 of 3 Posts