Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 ZR580 that I have owned for a little over a year now. The odometer indicates the sled has only about 2600 miles. When I purchased it the thing needed some repairs for steering linkages and a few cosmetics. It seemed to be a relatively sound machine. I rode it off and on last year when I wasn’t riding my 700 RMK. Other than the things mentioned about all that I did was change the chain case oil. It ran and performed well. No real complaints.
I got it out the other day and fired it up for the first time since spring. All seems well. However, there are some things that are in need of attention and I think that I have decided to restore the machine. I’m not looking to make some high performance rocket but get it back to at least original condition if not better. This will be my first attempt at things like pulling the track and suspension, clutch work, and engine removal. Any help for these things would be greatly appreciated.

Some of the things that I intend to do are as follows.
Replace the seals in the ski pivots
Replace brake pads and examine the calipers.
Remove the engine and clean/restore/paint the under hood frame and steering linkages
Inspect/clean/restore the clutch and components.
Replace all cables and hoses
Clean/Inspect Chain case and components
Replace/refinish pipe and exhaust box. These are coated now with lot's of rust.
Remove and clean the air box
Inspect and clean the carbs
Remove and inspect the track and suspension. The shock is already leaking so I’m sure that I will need this repaired.
Replace the track. I’ll probably put on about a 1 ¼”. I don’t think that I will be in need of studs.

I have already read a great deal of info here about how to do some of these things and this info I am certain will be invaluable. However, any assistance with just about anything that you can think of would be greatly appreciated. Any special tools or anything like that. I’m sure that I will have to align the track and skis and I have never done this before.

I could also use some recommendations for spring rates and suspension settings. With riding gear I probably go about 215 lbs and I am 6’ 1”.

By the way I have been riding sleds for seven years so I am sort of new at this. I have been riding dirt bikes all of my life and do my own repairs to them up to and including engine overhauls. I send my suspension components out for repairs.

Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
What I would do is order a service manual from AC. It will cost you about $20 but it is well worth the investment for your project. I to have a ZR580 (1994). They are a great sled. I just ordered a T660 Turbo, but I going to keep my ZR also. Good luck.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Snocat,

I've got a manual ordered but it seems it has been ordered for a month now. Hope it shows up soon. Will this manual have some spring rate info? The suspension seems soft for my size. I need to have the shock rebuilt. Do you have a preferred vendor for rebuilding these? Once I talk with them they will probably have some suspension recommendations. I heard or read somewhere that about a 1.25 inch track is simply ideal for this machine on trails and deep snow. Good performance and doesn't over tax the stock engine. Any ideas on this?

Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to your question. I had a few computer problems and also I was busy getting my new sled taken care of. The service manual will give you all the info you need. It does address the suspension very well. There are alot of variables on the ZR suspension. I played with mine for quite some time till I finally got it tuned in just right. You should have fox shocks all around. They are rebuilable, but I don't have any suggestions on who to use. A friend of mine uses a local guy in central NY. I'll try to find out info for you. I was thinking of having mine rebuilt this year. Any other help I can give you, just let me know.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dan

I didn't answer all your questions. The ZR is not a deep snow sled. The engagement RPMs and the design of the sled is not condusive to deep snow. I have been buried several times. A bigger track might help, but the sled just doesn't do well breaking trail from my experience. I have a stock track with 144 top gun studs. The sled is great on ice and trails. Hope you get you manual soon. Mine took about 7-10 days to get through my dealer. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts