Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two brand new springs for my indy 400 - one is red and one is black. How hard is it to remove the secondary clutch to install these spring(s)?

·
shiftrider86
22 Posts
well you need a good set of circlip pliers and the clutch compressor tool to do your secondary spring, and you have two springs?.. is one bigger than the other? because there is one spring in your secondary and one in the primary... the one in the primary is smaller, for that one you need no special tools, just unbold the 6 bolts on the cover, remove it along with the old spring, then re-install with the new one, just make sure to pull the cover back in over the spring pressure evenly (circular pattern) or a second set of hands to just push on the cover helps too.. good luck

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have two brand new springs for my indy 400 - one is red and one is black. How hard is it to remove the secondary clutch to install these spring(s)?
Take the belt off and remove the center bolt on the secondary. It will slide right off. Watch you don't lose any washers or spacers?

To remove the spring you can grab the sheaves of the clutch and rotate a half turn opposite directions, then hold it and tap the helix, remove the retaining ring(with a good set of ring pliers), and the helix and spring will pop out.

While you have it apart, it would be a good idea to clean it, and change the ramp buttons if needed.

Do not put grease or oil on anything on reassembly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts