Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace the rope on both machines. What's a good rope to use? Best place to get it from?

Any tips on the replacement? From what I can see, it looks like the entire assembly comes off, pulley removed, new cord put in, pulley reinstalled ect....no need to mess with the actual recoil spring?

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
No need to remove the rope pulley.
There should be a notch on it so that you can thread the rope through and wind it up.

But, there is an easier way to do it.
Pull the rope all the way out and jamb the pulley with a screwdriver to hold it in place.
Get the knot in the center pulled up and cut it off.
Pull the old rope out and feed the new one in.
Tie it off and heat the knot so that it will stay tight.
Fit the pull handle on the other end and then you can remove the screwdriver and let it rewind itself.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Note about the rope: There is a specific type of rope. My local hardware store had other types, which I tried one particular type because I figured it would be stronger. It was a failure. My local hardware store also has ATV and snowmobile accessories and has the pull-rope in bulk.

·
Registered
25,720 Posts
I bought a spool about 10 years ago and still have some left!
Also a side note, all Cats (until the 1000 twin) used the same recoil.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome advice guys, thanks!

I have a ski doo dealer near me, I'll visit them for the rope. How much should I buy for each sled?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RJ's method worked great for holding back the recoil while I replaced the rope:

ImageUploadedBySM Free1444864627.119870.jpg

A note to anyone doing this is the future: It's easier to start at the recoil and thread the rope out of the recoil and up to the starter handle vs starting at the handle and moving down.

Three of the bolts to secure the recoil housing to the block went in easy. That bottom bolt is a bear! I have an exhaust spring puller on order and will probably remove the muffler to gain access to that final bolt.

Arctic Cat sells starter rope that's precut and the ends are already heat treated. I picked them up at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts

Three of the bolts to secure the recoil housing to the block went in easy. That bottom bolt is a bear! I have an exhaust spring puller on order and will probably remove the muffler to gain access to that final bolt.
Keep in mind you don't NEED that bottom bolt.. Makes the job easier next time you do it! I left it off all my arctic cats when I replaced rope on them. Also, a needle nose vice grip and a screwdriver or small prybar work well on exhaust springs.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a big help! If three works, makes the job a lot easier.

Do you guys use Loctite on the bolts when re-installing?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I always put that bottom one in.......now you tell me :D . I never used loctite. Just use a piece of cable or a string with a loop in each end for the exhaust springs makes life really easy, or get a little spring hook from Dennis Kirk, works like a charm, especially when you get it free with your HayDays gift cards :D

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good tip on the wax! Haven't heard of that one before. I've got some old ski wax from when I used to tune my own skis.

Will do on the blue loctite....red is probably overkill. ; )

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I replaced the pull rope in the Puma today. Glad I did given the condition of the rope that was in there. It was pretty frayed! Looks like someone used power equipment rope; its thinner than the OEM rope.

I also installed a pull rope guide. For some reason that was missing and someone had installed fuel line as a guide. Odd!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts

View attachment 49129

A note to anyone doing this is the future: It's easier to start at the recoil and thread the rope out of the recoil and up to the starter handle vs starting at the handle and moving down.

Arctic Cat sells starter rope that's precut and the ends are already heat treated. I picked them up at the dealer.
This picture saved so much headache @Skier76. Thanks @RJGleason turned a job I was expecting to be a nightmare into a snap

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Agreed Dan. Been ages since they posted. I hope they are both well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts