Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just blew up my '87 Cougar 500 F/A at 8,500 miles. I'm looking to replace the motor, but having a hard time finding an identical 500 F/A.

Anybody know some other motors (Arctic Cat or other) that would bolt into this chassis easily and get me back on the trails?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
80 Posts
A panther motor would bolt up. The only modification you have to make is to drill a new hole in the pan for the exhaust. I think Jag's are the same too.

How much you want for the stator in your motor? lol I need one for my panther

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A panther motor would bolt up. The only modification you have to make is to drill a new hole in the pan for the exhaust. I think Jag's are the same too.

How much you want for the stator in your motor? lol I need one for my panther
So like a panther 550 would fit? I'm a total newb on this stuff - all of my mechanics skills come from youtube.

I actually have three '86 Cougars. One is a parts sled, one I just blew up and the third is running strong.

I'd kind of like to keep the stator from the one I just blew up, but I could pull off my parts sled for you. Problem is I don't know the history of the parts sled or if the stator is even good.

·
Registered
80 Posts
lol
disconnect the wires that come from the stator (there should be four wires in a coupling) and then take a voltmeter and set it to ohms Ω in the 2000 range and record the readings. Put one needle or clip on the male wire, and then put the other needle on the other female wires one at a time. You should get 3 different readings in total. If you read "1" or "infinity" then that stator is shot.

Where are you located? If your stator is good I can wire you the money and i'll pay for the shipping to get it to me.

I'm located on Manitoulin Island, Ontario, Canada.

·
Registered
80 Posts
a quick way to check is to measure the mounting bolts (there should be 4) on the motor you want to pull and the sled you want to install. Also look at how the motor/bolts are mounted, do they look similiar?
The exhaust hole is really minor. The really big thing to doing a motor swap is to make sure the clutches end up being perfectly in line.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The main issue here is a drop in bolt up opposed to modifying the mounts to make it fit. pretty much any motor will fit with the patients to build proper mounts. But a drop in is much easier to deal with

1 - 6 of 6 Posts