Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a piston that doesnt feel so weel .. see attached film clip

I have a Liberty egnine 800 cc, and my question is.
Do any Liberty 800 cc part fit my engine or are there many different sub-models within the engine family Liberty 800cc?
If so, what is the most importent data/spec/number to use to make sure the block and pistons fit my snowmobile?

Best regards
Bosse

·
Administrator
19,291 Posts
The Liberty 800 in the Gen II and Edge models is a bigger engine physically than the one in your 2015. It also has a completely different oil/water pump that is belt driven off of the MAG side via a pulley under the recoil starter. The only thing that is similar is the name. The newer 800 in the IQ chassis and IQ Pro chassis is built around the 440 race engine which is physically smaller than the big block 800.

If you go to the Polaris parts website, you can see the part numbers and where they are used in Polaris snowmobiles. That should give you a good idea as to what will fit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Liberty 800 in the Gen II and Edge models is a bigger engine physically than the one in your 2015. It also has a completely different oil/water pump that is belt driven off of the MAG side via a pulley under the recoil starter. The only thing that is similar is the name. The newer 800 in the IQ chassis and IQ Pro chassis is built around the 440 race engine which is physically smaller than the big block 800.
If you go to the Polaris parts website, you can see the part numbers and where they are used in Polaris snowmobiles. That should give you a good idea as to what will fit.
Thanks a milion Dan, would you say that my engine is by definition a "Liberty 800 Gen I" then, even though it is not maybe commonly named as such?
Do you know what year/month my engine model was introduced and when it was retired?

Sorry for throwing more questions your way :D

·
Administrator
19,291 Posts
The big block 800 in the RMK came out in 2000 (Gen II chassis) without VES valves and then got VES valves in 2002. That version of the 800 was in the Edge chassis. Polaris did not produce an 800 from 2006 to 2008, they put their money on the failed 900/700 in 2005/6 and did not make a small block 800 until 2008. In 2007, the biggest engine Polaris had was the 700 in the Dragon.

To quickly identify an engine as a big block, the water pump/fuel pump will be on the right side of the block, driven by a belt under the recoil starter housing. The oil pump is very visible on the right side. The small block water and oil pump is driven by a shaft in the center of the crankcase off of the crankcase rotation.

·
Administrator
19,291 Posts
You're welcome! Big block 800 engines were (are) torque monsters, but had a pretty short life in the RMK with the longer tracks. They did better in the XC, some think it's because the shorter track did not require as much torque loading on the engine due to track size.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts