Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a question about a 1996 Yamaha V-max 600. . When I first got the thing it seemed great. Had plenty of power to spare. However,something major happened this season. I was returning home from a pretty long ride ( approx. 15-20 miles ) The sled ran great througout the ride. I had it well over 80 m.p.h. on some stretches. However, when I went to open her up on the last good long straight-away before my house something happened. I was going approx. 70-80 m.p.h. when it seemed almost as though the engine back-fired and it came to a sudden stop. Upon trying to restart the sled I found that the pull cord was very tight, practically locked up and I could not pull the cord to restart the sled. After I towed the sled back to the house, I went through the basics.I found that the spark plug in the right-hand cylinder had it's spark post pushed completely down against the electrode as though the piston had traveled to far and topped out against the spark plug. I regapped the plug and stuck it back in. I did get the sled to restart but now it will only run at about 40 m.p.h tops and very unresponsive. Any thoughts or solutions?

·
Runnin Against The Wind!
8,036 Posts
When it start's, does it run okay. Does it run okay when the track is up off the ground? You might have a clutching problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The engine detonated, that was the backfire sound. And if it detonated bad enough to ace the plug you probably broke a ring at least if not ruined the piston. Sorry to say you need to pull the cylander the bad plug was in and look at it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts