Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
It runs leaner so you'll have to rejet the carbs afterward or you'll burn up a piston. Won't make it much louder, but will increase power a little. Worthwhile? IO don't know if it'll make that much of a difference. Anyone else?

·
Registered
50 Posts
i leave on my stock air box because when i put in a air filter it got wet and icy, then my engine quits. dont want to loose warranty.

like smallengineguys said it does increase ur power a little

·
Super Moderator
18,404 Posts
The airbox takes it's air from outside the engine compartment so it is cool, dense air. Air filters take their air from inside the engine compartment where the air is hot and not as dense. Cold air makes more horsepower. And if you have exhaust leaks inside your engine compartment, the exhaust will also get sucked into the carbs, decreasing available oxygen as well. Adding cold air from outside the engine compartment with products such as Holtsman Tempa Flows may help horsepower.

Some airboxes actually resonate and the vibration helps horsepower by "pumping" air and fuel into the carbs. Snow Tech did an intersting article on this

http://www.snowtechmagazine.com/articles/pipetemp/piptemp.html

Also, if you do any airbox mods, they are pretty much useless unless you have done something to get rid of the exhaust on the pipe side. You can't take more air in unless you can get rid of it on the exhaust.

Just my .02

1 - 4 of 4 Posts