Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gents,
The oil pump on our old '84 Excell III gave up. It won't retract the cable so it is wide open all the time and consuming a lot of oil. I figured I would just eliminate it and start pre-mixing.
Can I just pull the hose from the oil tank, plug it and leave it at that?
I can't see where anything else should be done.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
in my opinion i would take hoses off at the block
and block them off there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pulled the tank, cut the lines at the pump and plugged the two going to the intake. I removed the cable too. Filled it with 40:1. So I guess it's good to go.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
let us know how it works out for you. i was thinking about connecting the pump lines to each other to create a loop and make sure it wasnt sucking air.

does your oil pump drive the tach as well? i wonder if an occasional lube job on that gear would be necessary?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
let us know how it works out for you. i was thinking about connecting the pump lines to each other to create a loop and make sure it wasnt sucking air.

does your oil pump drive the tach as well? i wonder if an occasional lube job on that gear would be necessary?
I plugged the two lines with screws so it wouldn't suck air. It fired up and idled smooth as usual and responded to reving perfectly.

The tach is driven from the pump. I guess a shot of WD-40 into the old oil line on acassion couldn't hurt.

I'll let you know how it goes. We don't have snow right now to ride in. You'd think Alaska would have plenty of snow but we've had a screwy winter so far.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also got thinking what wil happen to the pump itself with no oil in it. If it burns up will it effect the motor at all or will it just die? I don't really care if the tach dies I just don't want it to do anything to the motor.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
thats what i was eluding to with the lines. if the lines were both hooked to the pump and themselves, and say a bit of oil continuously flowed through the lines and pump, as opposed to two plugged lines with no flow, would that be a safer, more reliable bypass?

just trying to wrap my head around this concept. i honestly dont know how the older oil systems function. i replace pumps, lines, cables, etc. i adjust cables, adjust pumps, bleed pumps, bleed lines, etc, but have never had the opportunity to do a bypass and see the end results.

curious.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats what i was eluding to with the lines. if the lines were both hooked to the pump and themselves, and say a bit of oil continuously flowed through the lines and pump, as opposed to two plugged lines with no flow, would that be a safer, more reliable bypass?

just trying to wrap my head around this concept. i honestly dont know how the older oil systems function. i replace pumps, lines, cables, etc. i adjust cables, adjust pumps, bleed pumps, bleed lines, etc, but have never had the opportunity to do a bypass and see the end results.

curious.
I thought about that too. The line into the pump is about 1/4 inch but the two going to the intake are really small, maybe 1/8. I might see if I can find fittings that I can adapt to make a circuit to provide constant circulation in the pump to keep it lubed and the tach working. I'll let you know what I come up with.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
i am shopping for hose reducers tomorrow anyways for a different project. i will see whats available in that size.
of course all this speculation hinges on the fact that the pump does pump.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i am shopping for hose reducers tomorrow anyways for a different project. i will see whats available in that size.
of course all this speculation hinges on the fact that the pump does pump.
My pump still pumps. After I cut all the lines and started the motor it pumped what was left out of it.

Please let me know what kind of reducers you find.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
i stopped by a napa store with the hoses in hand. they had an assortment kit of plastic fittings. found one right off the bat that fit the hoses i was doing.

a little pricey i thought at about $4 for a little hunk of plastic, but it was needed to complete a project.

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
Napa is pricey. Maybe pep-boys? I found fittings to route the heater core hoses together on my '67 cougar for like $2. Just trying to save you cash, every cent counts! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i stopped by a napa store with the hoses in hand. they had an assortment kit of plastic fittings. found one right off the bat that fit the hoses i was doing.

a little pricey i thought at about $4 for a little hunk of plastic, but it was needed to complete a project.
I'll have to stop in and see what my NAPA has. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am doing the same thing right now...I am removing the lines from the intake, plugging the intake, and joining the intake lines together, leaving them attached to the block. I am using a washer fluid connector 3/16. The only concern I have is that the pressure from the pump still pumping might burst one of the intake feed lines...but I also have the cable disconnected. Hopefully this will work...I will keep you all updated. If anyone has done this before successfully, feel free to chime in!

·
lets rip
5 Posts
so in order to pre mix u need to snip the lines going from the oil injector to the intake manifold and plug all ends? Also what happens to the larger lines that come from the oil tank and go into the oil injector? Do these need to be cut as well? I am in the process of eliminating the oil injector on my 84 srv 540, the only other concern i have is does the oil injector feed anywhere else besides the manifold?

any help is appreciated

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so in order to pre mix u need to snip the lines going from the oil injector to the intake manifold and plug all ends? Also what happens to the larger lines that come from the oil tank and go into the oil injector? Do these need to be cut as well? I am in the process of eliminating the oil injector on my 84 srv 540, the only other concern i have is does the oil injector feed anywhere else besides the manifold?

any help is appreciated
I removed the oil tank. Cut and plug the manifold lines. Remove any other associated parts. All it feeds is the manifold.

·
lets rip
5 Posts
thanks alot bud ive been stumped about this for a while and have had a few opinions but none knew if the injector fed oil any where else besides the manifold
thanks again:thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
any problems develop?

hi all i have a sled i am converting and no longer have room for the oil tank. i am used to mixing myself. i like the idea of joining the hoses to keep some oil for the tach. anyone have any issues yet?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are you guys talking about joining the two small hoses that go to the bottom on the intake manifold?

If yes, that won't circulate oil. If you feed those two small lines back into the oil tank that will circulate oil.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts