Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of some help... I'm in the process of replacing the drive shaft bearing on the clutch side. After working at this all day I have the suspension out, muffler off, chain case cover off, and I removed the bolt on the upper gear in the chain case and now am STUCK..

The Lower gear in the chaincase has about a 9/16" nut on it, but it has some sort of lock on the side of the nut so you can't get a regular socket on there. I can't figure out if I need some sort of special tool or how to remove it cause I can't see in there real well cause of the belly pan.

Has anyone ever removed this?? If so plse help. It's an 02 panther with reverse.

after I get this lower gear off, it should be smooth sailing to replacing the bearings, then puttting it all back together. I can maybe post a pic if I can get a good one. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well here it is if it works. As you can see, there is a square piece on the outside of the bolt.. and the drive gear housing is even formed as to fit maybe ( a special tool) in there to account for this.

I'm going to give the local dealer a call I guess and see if I can get any info out of them...they usually don't want to tell you stuff so you have to bring it in and they can charge you a buttload for the repair. Meanwhile. If anyone has seen this before...please clue me in.. my sled is still hanging from the garage ceiling until I get this drive shaft bearing replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's a locking tab. No special tool required. I just finished the same job on my sled. Take a screwdriver and bend the tab over flat. Or just get it out of the way enough to get a 9/16 socket on the bolt. This is really simple. Don't over think the problem.
If you are having trouble seeing get a mirror to help you see what you are doing. I'd start with a very small flat blade screwdriver.
Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts