Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get the flywheel off my 2000 Panther 440, to get at the stator. I think I have a burnt primary coil, but I'm having trouble getting the flywheel pulled out of there.

Does anybody have any tricks/tips on making the removal go smooth? I have all the hardware off it... just can't get the thing to come off. My favorite method of removal (beating it to death with a hammer) is apparently 'forbidden' on this part.

What type of wheel puller works best? I'm looking at getting a 4-slot steering wheel type puller for it, and using the 3 pull starter cup bolts. Will that work, or is there a better way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used a harmonic balancer puller. It worked pretty good until I put the bolts right through the stator. Just make sure that you don't put the bolts any farther in than the flywheel bolts.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly what I ended up getting today. Unfortunately, the bolts are real small diameter, and one of them started to strip out, so I quit trying that method.

Then I tried a wheel puller, with the pawls ground down so they would fit through the large holes. Started working on that with my air wrench, and one of the pawls snapped off. Darn China tools... I try to avoid buying tools unless USA or Taiwan made. Had no choice with the wheel puller. Cheap junk...

I may just pay the shop to pull it for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just finished changing magneto on 01 mxz, although different manufacturer, probably same setup. I tried large harmonic pulller 3 and 4 point. bearing puller, every puller I could get my hands on. wouldn't budge. I guess I refused to believe I needed the ski-doo puller, gave in and bought the puller for 50$ (outer bolts to flywheel, inner threads onto inner flange of the 2 peice puller bolted to flywheel, the hardend bolts pushes on center of crank. it came out like nothing. pisses me off I couldn't come up with something, but nothing worked. Then again, the 50 bucks for the puller didn't seem so bad as the 300 for the stator..Good luck

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Figures...

I just dropped it at the dealer. They said they'd pull it for me. Probably cost less that buying a puller, and certainly less than the 2 evenings of frustration I put into it! :mad:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Picked it up earlier this afternoon. Took the guy 15 minutes to pop it off. Even fixed some threads that were buggered up by my attempts to remove it. Cost me $20. Well worth it, in my book!

That's the way I'd recommend anybody to go, unless you have your own puller.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep. The good news is that I was able to get the stator out yesterday, and the circuit is still wide open across the 2 coil leads. It looks like there is a small burnt area near the top of the coil - like the wire fried. I was hoping to find something like that, to reassure me that I was on the right track.

BTW, the bone yard I talked to encouraged me *not* to buy an aftermarket coil. He said that he has had to re-open too many sleds with aftermarket coils in them. I took his advise, and ordered a "genuine" coil through my Cat dealer. The $107 cost is better than the cost of a CDI. Hopefully, that's all it will take to fix it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts