Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to take the primary off my mach z today to give it a good cleaning and then I realized that I dont have a clutch puller! Anyway to do this without a clutch puller? My mxz 700 didn't need one, but I think the z does. Thanks! -SkidooStud

·
Registered
142 Posts
i wouldnt take the chance ifi were you! its very possible to brake it if you dont use a clutch puller!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! I've heard that same thing before...I guess i'll just borrow my neighbors...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
on my wedge polaris I used a largre 3/4" X 18 ( if I remember the thread correctly) grade 8 bolt, and a section of 1/2" steel rod. made sure the bolt had a few threads engagement and then cut the steel to the length I needed to but up against the end of the crank. Dab of grease where the two meet to minimize friction and she worked like a charm. for a total of like $2.50!

so if you can find out the internal thread diameter and pitch of your clutch it can be done!

·
Registered
26,127 Posts
To remove either you would need a special bolt type puller and they may not even take the same one!

·
Need Snow!!!!!
427 Posts
Find the right bolt, thread sealer on the threads and water to fill the hole, and hydraulic it off. I learned how to do that on this forum and have used it a few times. Worked great for me.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I wanted to take the primary off my mach z today to give it a good cleaning and then I realized that I dont have a clutch puller! Anyway to do this without a clutch puller? My mxz 700 didn't need one, but I think the z does. Thanks! -SkidooStud

Going back to what you want to accomplish, instead of answering the question you asked:

You should be able to pretty much rebuild the whole clutch right on the sled. That's assuming a Doo clutch is similar to a Cat or a Polaris clutch. You can take a Cat or Polaris clutch completely apart (except for the inner sheave) without having to pull the clutch off the shaft.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Excellent post.
I've got a Ski-Doo TRA clutch I want to put on my Formula and take off a Comet clutch, but I only have the TRA puller, don't want to spend $40 plus on a Comet puller to use it once!
Thanks,

·
Hank Scorpio
112 Posts
Don't forget to pre soak with PB Blaster!

·
Registered
126 Posts
you can use the water method it works better than any clutch puller in my opinion. Here are some instructions i have found.

Remove Cluch bolt.
Flip sled on side use hot water from tap fill hole.
Use the clutch bolt start with 1 wrap and getting thicker as you get to end of threads 2-3 wraps of teflon wrapped in direction so threads won't unwrap it. Don't over do it.
Thread in clutch bolt it will be about 1-2 inches away from even touching the clutch it will slowly build pressuse the water will spread the crank to clutch taper and clutch will come off like butter! This will make a large pop sound.
The Water Method usually wont work with the Puller!!!!
The tapered pin bottoms out on the crank and then doesn't compress any water! Use square end clutch bolt

The bolt threads into the clutch first, then goes loose, there is a void, it then threads into the crank. when you fill that void with water, and start the bolt into the clutch, the water pressure will become so great, that before the bolt even makes it to the void, the water pressure blows the clutch off the taper.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This write up on how to use water rocks. If it works when I do it, I will defiantly tell all. I am very green when it comes to sleds. I've been an auto mechanic for over 30 years and never heard of this. Make this a sticky. It is brilliant.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts