Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SUMMER SUCKS!
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this may be tricky to explain so bear with me...

well on my 1990 polaris indy 500, i am trying to replace the center suspension shaft (i think thars what is called) that is closest to the front of the sled. i was wondering if i would need to touch the suspension (the center shock is mounted to this shaft) in order to get this removed and replaced. like do i need to drop the chassie or disconnect the shock?

ANY help is wanted. thanks guys

Attachments

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Drop the suspenssion it will be easier! Then use an impact to remove both bolts. get a long bolt and thread it in all the way and drive the shaft out.

·
Registered
315 Posts
that CAN be a royal pain in the ...
when i did mine on my 86 trail indy i had to put the part in the press , had to heat it with a torch . destroyed the shaft (mine was alluminum) and had to repair the tube
the shaft goes through . it was corroded so bad and had been neglected for years
before i got the machines , luckly i had a friend who had an extra shaft from a parts sled
there is a penetrating oil called "pb blaster" i am a mechanic and have been for twenty years , it;s the best stuff i have found to penetrate rusted , corroded, parts, three or four bucks a can. it's worth a try!

·
SUMMER SUCKS!
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright. tonight i am trailering it to my buddies house to do it their because he has a heated garage. im sure its gunna be a pain but i deffinatly need a new one in their. the other one was opened up really bad and ovaled out so every 20 miles or so i would end up loosing the bolt

but ill make sur ei let you guys know how it goes. thanks, i appreceiate the help

·
SUMMER SUCKS!
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so,
taking the chassie out was a snap. then i lost the bolt that holds the rear of the suspension to the frame. so im off to napa tomorow morning to match up the other bolt for a new one.
BUT i can't get the bolt on the other side of the axle out! ive tried super penetrant, wd 40 and i put the opposite bolt on in tight so it would hold the axle from spining, but it spun anyways... im stuck for now but i am a little further than i thought i would end up. :dunno:

·
SUMMER SUCKS!
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i konw im gunna try that. i was in my garage, dirt floor and no insulation, and i couldnt get it off because my hands were numb and my air hose on my compressor is one of those little coil ones. which basically means that at 100psi, with the adjustments all the way open, it would barrily ratchet...
im probably gunna have at it today and if no good, i might bring it to a biuddies house to free it up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts