Snowmobile Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Normally I would agree but at this point means more bolts he has to buy and yeah he needs a better torch but better off just paying the shop with a hydraulic press to get it off and save the time.

Dan I've never seen one like this happen, seen a couple that yeah put some pressure on it and it would pop right off but normally when pulling them with either a pulley set or doing it the bolt/steel plate way it was only a couple seconds and your heard the pop & was done.

Whoever did that rebuild screwed something up for it to be like this. Hopefully it didn't screw up the stator either.

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So, a bit of a post-mortem here..... My local shop, threw everything but the kitchen sink at that flywheel and was absolutely unable to remove it. Broke their heavy duty puller also in the process. Heated it up, soaked it, literally everything but cutting it in half, which they think will just ruin the crank too if it's that stuck. They think it got welded on for some reason by a previous owner, that's how bad it is. Not workable.

I can't seem to find a complete engine online anywhere that's available to ship to Canada, and I'm not really interested in picking up a $100 crank on ebay, no idea how the bearings are or phase and slapping it together, with my existing pistons/parts then still needing to buy new motor mounts, full gasket kit for it just to likely be unreliable going forward.... so I've made the call that unfortunately the old XLT that only got me 10 miles and many hours of wrenching is going to be parted out.

If anybody happens to be looking for parts from a 1995 XLT Touring, electric start (no crank or pistons) but literally everything else working, just let me know and we could work something out.... Located East Coast Canada, so shipping and such might not be that easy, but willing to figure it out!

I may add a post in the Classifieds section here as well.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Lemme see what I can find locally. Those engines usually are a dime a dozen. Might even be able to get the newer style setup with the 5 port oil pump and the 598 engine that uses 38mm carbs that would give you that extra boost you were looking for.

Send me a pm bass. I know of a guy who owned a powersports store then retired I will try to give him a call tomorrow and leave a message and see what he has laying around. I know he has something like 4 53 foot trailers full of used parts and engines.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
This guy is close to me and shows 120 psi across the board. He is about an hour away and would pick it up and ship it to you if you two could agree on price and cover the shipping.

Another one from 1998 and is 400 not sure where horicon is though iirc its about 2 hour drive for me just cover the gas and I could pick it up for you. I don't mind a day trip gives me a reason to get out of the house one day.

Another one from 1994 in Minnesota that one he would have to ship to you.

Another one that would be shipped and has new crank and what not in it from michigan.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Nothing to lose on that motor, right? Why not take everything apart on it and even split the crankcase? May end up breaking the stator, but what good is it anyway?
If it spun on the crank, the crank is probably shot anyway as the key will usually pit the shaft where it broke.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nothing to lose on that motor, right? Why not take everything apart on it and even split the crankcase? May end up breaking the stator, but what good is it anyway?
If it spun on the crank, the crank is probably shot anyway as the key will usually pit the shaft where it broke.
I have the same sled I bought this spring, engine isn't original but it's running comp 100 psi I bought it for parts and I'm 15 mins from you as the crow flies. lol

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I have the same sled I bought this spring, engine isn't original but it's running comp 100 psi I bought it for parts and I'm 15 mins from you as the crow flies. lol
What would you be looking for on the engine? I'm assuming it might need at minimum rings, maybe put a gasket kit on it... But at least it would get me running again.

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well something finally went right for me today! It took removing the skid, track, drive shaft and a couple of wrenches and my electric impact wrench but the stripped motor mounts FINALLY came off.

Now to get the new ones on, old driveshaft and jackshaft bearings off and replaced, deep clean and paint the belly pan and then put everything back together, get that engine in, clean the carbs, and hopefully I'll have a working sled for next week. We've got a foot of snow forecast for Friday/Saturday! Gotta bolt down and hook up the new seat/wiring too!

White Road surface Asphalt Grey Line

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Grey Gas

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Wood Bicycle wheel

Automotive tire Road surface Wood Grey Automotive wheel system

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
It gives you a nice sense of accomplishment when you keep whacking away at a task and can finally get it done. Congrats!
I called it a night after that!

Any tricks to getting sticky bearings off the drive and jackshafts? I hosed them down in penetrating oil and left them overnight. They're pretty rough and still say Polaris on them so I feel like they're going on maybe 27 years old unless replaced at a dealership somewhere down the line. I got the chain case bearings out no problem.
Maybe just something like this will do the trick?

My bearing kits came with a little o-ring that I didn't see anywhere on my existing setup. Am I missing something? Maybe an extra part for certain models since the kits may cover a few different sleds?

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Nevermind! A few hammer taps on the jackshaft and a cheap puller on the driveshaft and we're all apart.

Still thankful things are actually disassembling the way they're supposed to after all the past problems!

I just wish I was able to get this stuff done earlier... The snow is falling today and forecasting a foot and a half by tomorrow morning! Though I guess my last project was a good reason to have taken up the garage space till I moved it to the basement finish... Few pics below!

Automotive tire Wood Tool Asphalt Bumper

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Gas

Table Furniture Desk Wood Outdoor table

Wood Floor Flooring Loom Engineering

Table Furniture Property Plant Chair

·
Registered
925 Posts
In your post #33 you asked about a small o-ring included in the kit. If you look in your included pictures the drive shafy has a silver bushing on the chaincase side and that bushing has a small o-ring that makes contact with the bearing in the chaincase.

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
In your post #33 you asked about a small o-ring included in the kit. If you look in your included pictures the drive shafy has a silver bushing on the chaincase side and that bushing has a small o-ring that makes contact with the bearing in the chaincase.
Thanks! Yep I figured it out from the parts diagram! They weren't there on the shafts I removed so that's why I was confused for a bit.

Everything went together well and the whole sled got a coat of paint/rocker guard while empty and apart!

Next step, put the chaincase back together, reinstall skid and seat, drop the engine & secondary in, clean the carbs, hook up all the lines/elec, fill with fluids, and hopefully brapppppp!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Machine Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper Rim

Tire Automotive tire Hood Tread Motor vehicle

21 - 36 of 36 Posts