Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience with broken reeds?I have a 99zl600efi and I seem to have a small rattle coming from my motor.Compression is good and clucth also.I check my exhaust and seems fine .So the only thing I can figure is that I might have broken reeds.But since I have not eperienced this before I am not sure if they make noise {rattle} when they brake I am not sure.The power dosent seem any different .I would imagine broken reeds would decrease my power .So if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
That is strange. Does if vibrate all the time? Do the vibrations change as you change the RPMs?

I would assume a broke reed would vibrate to some extent and would also think the frequency of the vibrations would change as the engine reved.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Look under the hood for and loose screws or bolts. 2 strokes tend to shake things loose. It's good to look over this stuff every season.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cobra said:
That is strange. Does if vibrate all the time? Do the vibrations change as you change the RPMs?

I would assume a broke reed would vibrate to some extent and would also think the frequency of the vibrations would change as the engine reved.
The vibrations are more noticeable when the rev are coming down to idle speed Like if you rev it up then as soon as the rev are slowing down thats when you would hear it the most .Its not that bad but its a noise that wasnt there beforeI brought it to a local machanic today and he figures it might be a crank bearing starting to wear but says its hard to say.And the only way to find that out is to tear down $$$$He check for play in the shaft and said it looked about normal.And both plugs look good .I figured if it was a crank bearing the seal would also be going and the plugs would show this but they both look the same [good]This is a 600 efi with 10.000 miles on it Well I figure that I'll run it till I notice it getting worse then I might have a better idea!Hopefully not a blown motor.

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
10,000! Wow. I would think at 10,000 miles it could definately be a bearing. It is a tough call on riding it because if it is a crank bearing you would hate to have the crank sieze up on it... that would be a disaster. On the other hand, you don't want to shell out a ton of cash to not find anything buy a loose bolt. Personally, I would have the mechanic take a look at it. Its better to spend $100 now then $900+ later if the engine siezed. I had a crank shaft sieze on a waverunner once and the piston rods broke right off the pistons and destoyed the entire engine... looked like a grenade had gone off in one cylinder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i'd look at the drive clutch, with the power coming off of it and it just basically free wheeling if anything is loose, worn out, or broken it will rattle and it will sound like it is coming from the engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts