Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I am new to snowmobiling and am looking for advice on things to inspect and check to make sure the snowmobile is ready to go for the season. I have experience working on and winterizing motorcycles and jet skis so I have a pretty good basic knowledge of the common things on those types of machines but no specifics about snowmobiles as this is my first time owning and riding.

I have a 2002 and 2004 XC 700 that I purchased for the season, they appear to be meticulously maintained by the previous owner as he described the countless maintenance items he has done as well as spare parts that he had. I am looking to get an idea of what I should make sure to get done before the riding season actually starts. One thing I already have in mind is oil change, what else should I inspect/check to make sure my season is head ache less!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Welcome
I every Preseason will pull the carbs and clean all the jets including the pilot (up the tube)

By doing so you may find a 'Mouse House' or even a loose or cracked fuel line?

The fuel these days is terrible and even running then dry is bad, and additives to me are a crap shoot!

Then there is the greasing of everything, which has been pointed out to Me should be done at the end of the season.
Look at the clutches and be sure there is no rubber on them, clean with scotch bright or 120 grit sand cloth, and blow off real good.
Check the carbides are all good, I have taken the ski and turned them over and welded the front and rear edges of the carbide itself,as not to snag going in and out of trailer or anything.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Welcome.

Good info above. Grease all the fittings now so you know they have grease. Then at the end of the season, grease again. This pushes out any water that may have gotten in there over the winter.

Would not hurt to pull the shocks. Check to make sure they are working. I have had shocks that look fine and did not have any signs of leaking that were completely dead. If they have plastic bushings between the shock and shock bolt, check to be sure they are not worn out.

Also, you motors are 2 stroke, not 4 stroke like the motorcycles. You do not change the oil like a 4 stroke. No need to drain the oil in the oil tank unless it is contaminated. That is your 2 stroke injector oil.

With the sleds being 15 and 17 years old, a coolant change would not hurt also.

·
Super Moderator
16,806 Posts
Also, check the hyfax on the track for wear, check ski and track alignment, and as KC said, check the wearbars/carbides on the skis. People sometimes forget that part and are surprised mid-season when the wearbar breaks and goes sideways under the ski.

Check all the bogey wheels in the suspension as well. If you're really ambitious, you can remove them and repack the grease. The sealed bearing seal is pretty easy to pop out. Getting the bearing out of the wheel can sometimes be a chore without a good snap ring plyer set.

If the chaincase fluid has not been replaced in a few seasons, it's also a good thing to do. It's easy to get to. Once drained, pull the cover and check for wear on the chain/sprockets. You can also adjust the chain tension at that time. Tension should be finger-tight, then back off 1/4 turn.

An often overlooked part of maintenance on the big block Polaris engine is checking the belt that drives the water pump/oil pump. You have to remove the recoil housing to get to the belt. I would replace it at least every two seasons, because that belt drives both the pumps. When it fails, engine damage almost always occurs. It's a spendy little sucker, so be prepared when you get one!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts