Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the tree fell on both of our sleds (mine and my son's) we've been looking for another Puma to transplant his motor into. His is a 97 and I found a 98 jag 340. Should be the same I figured. Turns out the motor mounts are different. So we ended up taking all the damaged metal and hood of the 97, robbed the 98 of the parts we needed, Steering column, rightside footrest, airbox, oil bottle, and a bunch of little stuff. We spent Yesterday and today in the barn and are almost ready to get back out. Just need to get the exhaust back in, and tie up some loose wires. heres the progress:

before, hard to see here but the one on the right had the tree hit it.

A couple guys stopped over to put in their 2 cents. Jeff brought his ZR over to repair some tree damage.

here's the new footwell almost complete, chaincase back together

here the steering is back in

and he should be able to ride it again tomorrow!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found a little more ambition and spent another 1-1/2 hours on it. Just took it for a spin around the yard! I have some adjustments to make, and a couple wires and the choke cable to re-route. I shold have went under the airbox instead of over it, but he's back on the trail! (or at least in the front field, he's only 9)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, from one problem to the next. It started right up and idles good for several minutes, I rode it around the yard that first night and it seemed to be running out of fuel. It would bog and a flip of the choke would bring it back. It did this last year and i changed the furl lines, filter, pickup, and cleaned up the pump. It seamed to have solved it then. I figured it was something related or a dirty carb this time. (I only gave it a light cleaning at first) I took the carb out again and really cleaned it, found a plugged idle jet...Aha! Again it fired up and ran great for a few minutes and started to bog. This time the flip of the choke made it worse. I could keep it running by feathering and keeping the throttle on, but it was getting worse. I shut it down and figured the plugs were fouled. (I premixed the few gallons in the tank after having the motor out and back in) The plugs looked a little oily but not bad, I replaced with new. I then checked and had no spark. After sitting for 1/2 hour, it started and bogged out right away. Again about 2 hours later, ran for about 30 seconds and then bogged out. I'm guessing coil or stator now, the way it starts cold and then starts to die. I've been searching on testing the two and know what I have in store for tomorrow! I have a buddy with a Puma or Jag 340 I'm going to try borrowing a coil and cdi to rule that out too.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On a better note, the helmet I just ordered two days ago came in today! Heated shield to hook up my mxz too. Like I've said many times, You better learn to like working on them, or you'll hate owning them!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.