Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 600 tripple. I have 100 psi of compression on all the cylinders. The engine bogs, stalls, pops, back fires, basically does everything but idle and run strong.

Doesn't have a lot of power, kinda flat not really good strength.

Now should I tear down and rebuild the engine. Or should I replace the engine.

Not sure if it is in need of the top end freshend up or complete rebuild.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have an ultra 680. a couple years ago I blew a piston and replaced it. After that it was sick and I never got it running right until I just replaced the whole thing. So my opinion is unless you want to tear it down in the summer and make sure everything is right, just throw in a replacement. Especially this time of year when the goal is to riiiiiiiidddddde!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have my 500 that runs great that I can ride. I am one person with 3 sleds. I got a Polaris 400 liquid cooled that needs rebuilt that was going to be my summer project. But I want to ride the 600. I came accross a good deal I hope it pulls through.

If I have to replace it. I am going with a 700 twin.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have made my decission I am going to rebuild the engine. Now I have to make decission on what parts to go with.

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
what's the millage on it and has it ever been rebuilt b4

·
Registered
123 Posts
hello im doing the very same thing you are i have a polaris xlt 600 (without reeds) and i noticed after a while the power went away so i took the heads off and the clutch side piston was melted on the exhaust side. i also checked compression that cyl was bad/ then i checked all 3 carbs if there was suction through the back of them by puting my hand in front of one at a time and then i found that after i put new pistons in it the thing was still runnin like crap so the clutch side carburetor still had no vaccum so i thought it was in the crank case so i removed the engine and then got in the case the clutch seal was bad so i removed them both and then i found the part inside the bearing on the clutch side was all snapped and broken and this wore the seal away so you might have the same problem with your crank seals check carbs for vaccum if they dont have anything its in your crank case and when your done fixing it use RTV gasket its black or grey. use it to seal the cases hope this helps !!!

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
you should be ok with just a new top end

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hello im doing the very same thing you are i have a polaris xlt 600 (without reeds) and i noticed after a while the power went away so i took the heads off and the clutch side piston was melted on the exhaust side. i also checked compression that cyl was bad/ then i checked all 3 carbs if there was suction through the back of them by puting my hand in front of one at a time and then i found that after i put new pistons in it the thing was still runnin like crap so the clutch side carburetor still had no vaccum so i thought it was in the crank case so i removed the engine and then got in the case the clutch seal was bad so i removed them both and then i found the part inside the bearing on the clutch side was all snapped and broken and this wore the seal away so you might have the same problem with your crank seals check carbs for vaccum if they dont have anything its in your crank case and when your done fixing it use RTV gasket its black or grey. use it to seal the cases hope this helps !!!
That seems to be a lot. I have 100 psi of compression on each cylinder. Just had the carbs cleaned. I am guessing it is time for a new top end.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so I found a 96 XCR 600 engine with pipes, carbs, cdi, everything complete for 450. Engine was rebuilt this summer. Guy rode it one time this year and wrecked it. Now he is parting it out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ended up getting the engine with carbs, the pipes were stock so I didn't take them. But the engine is ready to be dropped into the sled for 400 dollars. I guess now it is just a matter of doing the swap.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok old engine is out, man them cylinders are scored and the pistons too and that was just looking through the exhaust port and intake port. So it needs a top end. I will do that this summer and hold onto the engine for a back up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts