Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if track tension has any effect on the suspension stiffness? I was having problems with my sled bottoming out quite often. I am a husky guy but I have never had a problem like that. So last night I moved my rear suspension down to the lower holes to jack the rear up. I found that I got a lot of slack in the track. I tightened it till it was about the right deflection. Now,does the track tighten when the suspension is compressed? I just don't want the track to be too tight as it was fine before I moved the rear bolts. Suspension doesn't seem to bottom out any more. Shouldn't it still be bottoming out but it's just a higher ride? I am not sure if this is anything to worry about or not. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You can put your susp back where it was cause you didnt really gain antthing by moving it. The lower holes are for deep lug tracks and it does effect the handling of the sled. I put an m-10 in mine.presto, all set. now heres a sled you can ride all day through the crap!

·
Registered
36 Posts
sounds like your springs might have finally wore out. my dad is a bigger guy and his did the same thing on his 97 thundercat. he put the heavy duty springs from arctic cat on his and he can now ride on the medium setting. thats what i would do

·
Registered
121 Posts
Priceless! No it's about $1200 us. Worth every penny if you like the sled you own and don't want to trade. I had a 2002 cross country last year that i just did'nt like. I've had triples for a long time and just could'nt get that rush on my twin. Guys love them though thats why they build them. I have a 2000 zrt with the m-10 and i'm keeping it until enough people complain and cat starts building.

·
Registered
5 Posts
prob shocks need rebuilding

i recently rebiult and recharged my suspension on my 97 Z 440, same same as what you have, my guess is that your shock prob needs a rebuild

·
Registered
101 Posts
Tightening up the track shouldn't affect the suspension travel. Its most likely a combination of weak spings and shocks needing rebuild. What position are the spring in? Running the track as loose as possible without ratcheting will give less rolling resistance = more speed. You can go alot looser then the specs, mine is just abuot at 2" deflection right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts