Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im wondering if anyone knows how i can get a little more clearance between the rear of my back above the 2 idler wheels and the heat exchangers, its just in 1 spot in the back, ive replaced springs and set track tension i just need that rear arm where the 2 idler wheelers are bolted to, to come down, should i put 2 smaller idler wheels on it or is there a way to adjust that arm some. please help. thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how thick of metal would you suggest me using, and this will go where my rear suspension arms bolt to sled right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive done a couple in my time. I used 1/4 inch or 3/8 of an inch for extensions. You might have to tighten track but you will know for sure when you ride. You will hear it rubbing the front of the tunnel. just bring a wrench to adjust out on the trail and do it evenly. Use at least two 1/4 bolts to hold it on if you can. chuck

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well the best way is to drill out the rivits of the one that is currrently there and then fab another one like it but longer so that you can drop the suspension to where you want and drill both brackets the same so the suspension mounts true and then rivit the plates back to the tunnel

they are ususally a piece of steel plate around 1/16 think some a little thicker I wouldnt go more than 1/8 as when you go to put the suspension in the space will be to narrow and it will force the brackets apart

Hope this makes sence

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank u and it makes sense only thing is will my rear springs still work, i figure they would.

·
Registered
168 Posts
thank u and it makes sense only thing is will my rear springs still work, i figure they would.
Yes they will since they are part of the skid but i suggest that you measure the center to center of the mount holes from the front ones to the rear ones so that when you make your brackets the holes are still the same distance that will keep the suspension correct.

as the rear mount hole moves down it will need to move shightly forward

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you, when i make this bracket i will bolt the braket to the hole where my rear suspension is bolted to now, then the suspension bolts to the bottom of that bracket, no welding needed correct?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i dont have any brackets where my suspension bolts up too, its just 2 holes on the tunnel on each side and u screw a bolt into the 2 susension arms thats it, same with the 2 front ones

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya it doesnt have one so thats what ill do ill drill the brackets in thanks for the help

·
Registered
58 Posts
Skid drop

I am rebuilding a 1980 el tigre with a skid drop it has rivited plates big enough for the ajusting blocks and mounting holes plus i riveted a smaller angle piece back under the running boards for a little extra support. ..i have to re-do the front mounting holes as they have worn over-sized,,,if you would like pictures the skid is out know...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts