Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sled is a 88 exciter 570. I REALLY need quick help with shim and washer location on the secondary clutch!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have the manual and looked at the pix:confused: I have 2 washers between the jackshaft bearing and the secondary clutch, then 2 shim washers between the 2 sheaves (which it shows in manual) My biggest confusion is on the bolt side!?!?! Please HELP

·
Registered
315 Posts
according to the picture of the parts manual , there is two washers on the bolt part of the clutch ,one is for sure on the bolt itself , the other is just shown on the picture ,
on mine there is a washer that is a kind of a shim out where the bolt goes . the shims in-between the sheaves are a, used as required deal ,as to provide the
proper belt deflection (the slack of the belt)

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
what your doing with the ones on the bolt side is limiting the movement side to side. technically you dont even need them. look in your manual and see what the offset spec is. i dont have access to the info at this time but 15mm sticks in my head. the theory behind the washers is to keep the secondary from walking too far on the shaft outward creating a bind or twist on the belt. the floating secondary concept will normally be controlled by clutch shift out, the washers are security.

as for the two between the sheaves, these are used to set the belt deflection/tension. they dont necessarily need to be there. if the belt is not at or near flush with the top of the sheaves on the secondary, remove a shim to raise the belt or add a shim to lower the belt. typical shim thicknesses were 1mm and .5mm.

hope that helps you out.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thnx for the advice. I NEED to find a good way to check the proper offset, as I was feeling like ANY side to side movement was WRONG!?!?!? NOW I have 3 thick washers between the inner sheave and jack shaft bearing, 2 thin shims between the sheaves w/ a new belt riding just under the top of sheave and 4-5 thin shims on the bushing between the thick washer and bolt inorder to stop side to side play

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
if you have anything available thats flat and straight and about a foot long, use it for an offset gauge. hold it tight on the back of the primary so it touches both outer edges and then measure the distance of the space between the straight edge and the back of the secondary. compare that to spec in your manual. remember to push the secondary towards the engine prior to measuring.

once you have derived at a figure close to spec, with the secondary bolt installed and no shim washers, how far does the clutch slide out on the shaft? about 1/2 of the offset is allowable for shaft freeplay. using 15mm as spec, or whatever your particular spec is, the freeplay(sliding back and forth on the shaft) should equal apprx 1/2, or 7-8mm.

i would say put one thick washer behind the secondary, use two thin ones behind the bolt, and remove one of the shim washers between the sheaves(such a pain on that one), if the belt will allow it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you have anything available thats flat and straight and about a foot long, use it for an offset gauge. hold it tight on the back of the primary so it touches both outer edges and then measure the distance of the space between the straight edge and the back of the secondary. compare that to spec in your manual. remember to push the secondary towards the engine prior to measuring.

once you have derived at a figure close to spec, with the secondary bolt installed and no shim washers, how far does the clutch slide out on the shaft? about 1/2 of the offset is allowable for shaft freeplay. using 15mm as spec, or whatever your particular spec is, the freeplay(sliding back and forth on the shaft) should equal apprx 1/2, or 7-8mm.

i would say put one thick washer behind the secondary, use two thin ones behind the bolt, and remove one of the shim washers between the sheaves(such a pain on that one), if the belt will allow it.
I will re-read and follow your advice in the morning as its late and the beers have set in at this time, lol. Thnx mang

1 - 6 of 6 Posts