Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I lock up the brakes (hydraulic) on my ZL550, it skids to a stop.

When I do the same with my 440 (mechanical brakes) I hear a ratcheting noise, maybe two or three clicks, then the track locks and skids. Does that sound like the track is too loose, and maybe it’s jumping a couple drive cogs before locking up? I don't hear the same noise when burying the gas in either forward or reverse... so it makes me wonder if it's "a brake thing".

I’ll have to check the track tension tonight. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No... it's a LOUD "click, click, click". Doesn't sound close enough in frequency to be a chain. I think the 440 Panther has a self tightening chain too. The ZL is self/manual.

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
I dont know what would cause the brakes to make that sound, check your rotors and pads. tighten your track. look at all the track clips.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Track slipping on the drive cogs I'd say...Track tension should be 5/8 inch deflection with a 16lb weight hanging off it.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tightened tha track tension tonight (it was quite loose) but that DIDN'T get rid of the problem!

The noise seems to be coming from the clutch side... I don't seem to get it in reverse either.

I brought it in the garage tonight, and put it on a stand. I ran it that way, with the belt guard up and out of the way. It clearly sounds like it is coming from the driven clutch. A real loud and pronounces noise. Still sounds like "ratcheting" to me - like a loud click or clunk. The faster you run it and try to stop, the more clicks you hear. If I feather it to a stop and only use the brake very lightly, there's no noise. It's only when I apply full brake. I can't think of anything that would cause a noise like that in the driven clutch. I would think it would be the chaincase... but I don't hear it coming from that side. I'm stumped! I hate to live with it until something breaks... (that's how we trouble-shot transmitters in the USAF - crank up the voltage until something smokes - then replace the smoked part).

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
mine does that to, but i did just blow my chain, so i dunno if that will solve the problem, i think it could just be the rollers on the secondary clutch catching up, like hitting the helix or something from the fast close. That or the clutch is shifting side to side, since it has that little bit of play side to side on the shaft....

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. We put about 100 miles on it Sunday, and the noise kept getting worse. Finally, my son said he couldn't get the sled to move. I hopped on it, and ran it a few feet in reverse, then went forward and heard a noise like the chain was slipping... the faster I tried to start off, the more slipping I heard. So - I drove it about 10 miles back to camp. I babied it on takeoff and going up hills, and stayed OFF the brake (had to hit the kill switch to slow me down on a couple big hills). Got it back on the trailer, but I am pretty sure it is a chain problem now. I'll have to crack the case and see. Hopefully, it is just loose, and there's no other damage (judging from the noise, that's doubtful). :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts