Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i bought a cougar 550, good shape RAN good, until today.. i got a belt and started it, this is what happens.

starts up good on choke, seems to run fine on choke, then i turn choke off, it is responsive for a couple seconds then just dies out like it load up, then turn choke back on, picks back up. it will idle on choke,

i cleaned the carbs everything seems ok,all passages clear and good spark

the jet on the carb was about 1.5 turns out, sound right?

OH ONE THING, the plug wires on this thing, i cant tell what one goes were, the coil is mounted on the handlebar side of the engine compartment, and either wire reaches ether plug no problem.

what one goes were?

·
Super Moderator
16,792 Posts
Usually, poor idle is caused by the pilot jets or the air or fuel passages to the pilot jets are clogged. You may have to take the carbs apart again and use a small wire to clean out the passages.

The wires will work on either plug, both plugs fire at the same time (twice per revolution). One spark fires the fuel, the other is "lost".

·
Repair Shop Owner
528 Posts
Yep clean the carbs again!! And the air/fuel screw at 1 turn out and fine tune from there.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what would make it only want to run on choke, and when its off choke, die like it loads up

flip it back on to choke, its boggy for a second(like its still loaded up) then it clears out and will rev up

·
Registered
177 Posts
It must be starving for fuel and when the choke is turned off, it is getting too much air and not enough fuel. I would do as everybody else has said, go thru the carbs. Good luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
let it warm up a bit then it should idle fine or take it for a qick boot arout the yard or whatever sometimes they need to warm up for long...

·
King of the Universe
6,674 Posts
Usually, poor idle is caused by the pilot jets or the air or fuel passages to the pilot jets are clogged. You may have to take the carbs apart again and use a small wire to clean out the passages.

The wires will work on either plug, both plugs fire at the same time (twice per revolution). One spark fires the fuel, the other is "lost".
Ummm.......Dan explained why you're having the problem you have. Not sure why you asked the same question, again????:dunno: The idle passages need cleaning!!
If that doesn't work, look for a vacuum leak (seals or cracked carb boot).

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
While the sled is running, look at the fuel line to see if there are any bubbles or air pockets that run through it. My dad's sled was doing the same thing and the problem is the pickup line in the tank isn't laying right. If you find air bubbles in the line, put more gas in the tank and run it again. If you still have air in the lines, it's probably a cracked/ripped line somewhere.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
passages are clean, still having same problem,

whats the most effective way to check for vacume leak??

the intake side of the carb boot has a crack, i dont see and on the engine side. whats a good way to test?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sprayed mixed gas around the boot, no rpm change, then i drained tank, gas looked pretty horrible, changing it tomorrow, could that cause these symptoms

·
Reverend Dennis
786 Posts
Check the carbs again.

We had the same issue here just last week on a Yammie 700. After three tear downs, looked again and noticed that one of the orings had a SMALL chunk missing on it and a missing washer.

ordered, received, replaced and WHAM runs like a champ now!

·
twins rule!
370 Posts
YES! bad gas can cause a lot of problems+it dont stay fresh that long now a days.I always store my toys with pure avaition gas in the tank+carbs 4.00 a gal. I have not had to clean ANY carbs in years. this fuel will keep two years or more.

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
YES! bad gas can cause a lot of problems+it dont stay fresh that long now a days.I always store my toys with pure avaition gas in the tank+carbs 4.00 a gal. I have not had to clean ANY carbs in years. this fuel will keep two years or more.

That is good to know...what octane is aviation fuel, 130? I can get 110 locally.

·
twins rule!
370 Posts
my local airport is 100 oc. but that is not important what counts is the fact that its leaded+has additives for a long storage life. planes cannot afford to have gas go bad.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright im going to run it off a remote fuel source, and clean the tank if that fixes it

that is a good idea about the fuel, is there any stabalizers you can buy and just dump them in?

thanks

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright, i went to a remote fuel source and it seemed to respond and idle better although i couldnt drive it, it was kind of on the bench, im going to clean everything out now and start putting everything back on

1 - 20 of 20 Posts