Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '79 Trail Cat's track broke and I need to replace it. I was going to try to replace it with a Camoplast Durasport 725 9796T. I was told that I'll need to adjust the rail spacing for that Camoplast to fit.

I've never replaced a track and I'm not sure if it's easy to adjust the rail spacing.

Anyone have any feedback regarding this?

Info. on Camoplast track:

9796T 15" x 116"(38 cm x 295 cm) 0.725"(1.8 cm) 37 lbs(17 kg) 2.52"*(64 mm) Full Trail

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not saying it's better or worse quality, all I'm saying is that it will bolt right in with no modifications.
Yeah, it'd be nice. I don't even understand why the Kimplex is so expensive. I don't mind
making the changes for the Camoplast, but I don't know how to do it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
trail cat track change

evidently the distance on the track you want to put on, (where the rails ride) is wider than original. otherwise you would have to get shafts machined shorter. so you would have to take your susp. apart and add bushings of equal thickness to each side to get your slides riding where they should. you might also need longer bolts. the bushings thickness would be determined by measuring new track rail area minus old track rail area divided by 2. then add them to each side of each shaft of susp. personally I would get the track that fits.I am assuming that this is a width issue.I have changed a track on that sled, it is fairly easy. But this will get involved unless you are a machinist. Good luck

·
Registered
53 Posts
loosen track tension, 2 long bolts inside rear idlers 4 bolts hold the susp. in place, located along footwells,2 each side.remove chaincase cover,gears and chain,remove 3 bolts behind secondary that hold bearing for drive sprocket shaft,reach under sled push or tap drive sprocket towards secondary side, get ready cause as you do these things things are going to drop. oh! after the 4 bolts slide susp. out b/4 the brg. and sprocket removal. anyway you should see whats happening at this point. Get drive out and your old track will be on the floor. get help if you can to lift new track back up in. be careful to line up 4 bolt holes good b/4 putting bolts back in as not to strip them, shafts are only alum. never sieze lub. on bolts is a good idea, I'm betting that in the how to sect. of the forum theirs a better explanation.new 30 wt. oil in chaincase is good. good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts