Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my favorite toy, a 1971 Opel GT. this is after i first finished it, and it has since then recieved some wide aluminium mag wheel swith 205 series tires on it, a wild camshaft, weber carb, header, electronic ignition, electric fan, high intensity driving lights and front and rear swaybars. car does 0-60 in 7.4 seconds and quarter mile in 14.9 seconds, and have had it doing 121 MPH.

Thats whats in my garage

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and a little bit of fun on the morning i had to put it up for the winter. speedo reading 120 MPH at 6,050 RPM if the picture is too blury.

for anybody who is interested in these cars, or even remembers them, check out the Opel GT forums at Opelgt.com. we are a very friendly group of people, and from what most off you will remember as meager little grocery getters in the 70's, will just be flat out amazed as some of these little 4 bangers running 11 second quarter miles, and one paticular fuel injected turbo opel engine running over 300 horse!!! some have done swaps, theres many pictures, and me along with one other member have exhaust sound clips of our cars, the cam makes her growl, sounds vicious. will post here if anybody would like to see, but wont post as going opel on a snowmobile forums bad enough.

Attachments

·
GIT ER DONE
312 Posts
Cool Car ! Lets see what the new wheels look like on it with another pic. Are they high speed rated tires ? Cause it looks like they need to be. I can see the gauges just fine. That truck must be going a buck thirty though , you are way behind.:D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this one a little better? hard to take pictures going 120, but the interval between these 2 pics is the time it takes you to hit the shutter button twice, i assure you the old man in the suburban was not happy with me when he pulled into the gas station a few minutes after i did, got the dirtiest look a old man can give, gotta laugh tho, lol

Attachments

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Nice car man, looks like my parents old 78 vette!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the 68-78 corvette bodies and the Opel GT (68-73) had the same General Motors designer design the bodies of these cars. they have many similar charactaristics, flip over headlights, altho the opels roll over sideways actuated by a lever in the console. both cars have split rear bumpers, both have 4 circular tail lights, body lines are similar, especially when matched side by side. just like its big brother the corvette, the interior resembles a corvette also, the full guages with clock, which "tear drops" down in the center of the dash into a center console. Opel even used a transversally mounted leaf spring suspension, only in the front, and not the rear as the corvette. check out Opelgt.com, you guys will be shocked at what some of these things can do, one of my friends cars in colorado can do 0 to 60, and back to 0 in 11 seconds with the 4 banger, slightly modded of course:D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i appreciate the good comments on the car, i really do. we snowmobilers got good taste in cars and still got the likes for powder!

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
My friends dad had 2 GT's, one orange, one yellow. Loved them. They were completely restored. Sold them both for a 31 Dodge. Post some pics of the Raiders!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
this is the 75 roadrunner that i cannot locate a cheap CDI for, or else i'd just get another throttle cable made up and replace 18 feet worth of fuel line and ride that too.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
and the last pic for now unless theres something you'd like to see about them not showed in pics, or if you'd like to buy them as a pair and get the headache off my hands, as i cannot seem to set the points right, but then again it does not help not having a book for them either, got bunch of brochures, owner manuals and parts lists with blown up diagrams, thats about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
i have seen one of those only it was yellow, went by us on the trail going the other way, pretty cool looking.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the blue one only has 958 miles on it, the green one has 2785 on it. a old buddy of ours has a double eagle, top of the line raider in mint condition, just sits in his barn, tisk tisk tisk.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts