Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in racing, but have many questions. First off, which type of racing is best for a beginner? I've only got 2 years of trail riding under my belt, although im a "ditchbanger" I dont think its any where near racing. Also, are there any sleds for this type or racing that accel more than others? I understand it is mostly the rider, but any info I can get from you guys and gals will be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot,

Patrick

·
23 Posts
I'm interested in racing, but have many questions. First off, which type of racing is best for a beginner? I've only got 2 years of trail riding under my belt, although im a "ditchbanger" I dont think its any where near racing. Also, are there any sleds for this type or racing that accel more than others? I understand it is mostly the rider, but any info I can get from you guys and gals will be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot,

The most popular, and hence easiest to get started in, is snocross racing. In case you don't know, it involves going around a short track with left and right turns while negotiating jumps and mogals. Start with a 440cc sled, such as an arctic cat sno pro or other race specific sled. If you cant afford to have two sleds and you want to be able to trail ride your race sled without too much hassle I would recomend a fan cooled 440. They require less maintenance and aren't as picky about how they are set up. Depending on how old you are you should start in a junior or beginer class. Browse around on the WSA website www.wsaracing.com they have an article about getting started. I hope that helps you get started. My brother races snocross and I am his mechanic so if you have more questions or just want to talk about snowmobiling my AIM is Sled Fiend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New 2 Racing

I would recomend you start of with hillcross,its easier than snocross and lots of fun and big air. I would also recomend starting with a 440 liquid factory racer 1 to 2 years old. The liquid machine is much more reliable in durability and performance.Get all of your safety gear and a good helmet that fits properly.Grab an extra drive belt , spark plugs, jets, gas can, tools ,register for the race and go have some fun. Most of the manufacturers post some kind of set up(somewhere on there home race pages ) for racing otherwise e-mail one of the race teams thats running in similar conditions to where you are(altitude and temperature). I would start with that. Being new at the races its easy to get help for performance because your not a threat yet. When you make changes keep records. The small stuff makes the biggest difference. Theres really only four things you need to really well racing in this order - 1 Fast smooth driver , 2 Fast sled , 3 Good suspension , 4 Some good luck. Just remember - a sled set up from a good source is a great place to start. Practice is the place to try any changes you make - dont race a set up thats not proven to work better.Race day is not the time to test new set-ups. SMALL changes in jetting , gears and clutching can be good once your more familiar with what there going to do to your performance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts