Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2010 Polaris 600 IQr and I am going to be racing cross country this winter. With the cost of racing fuel, I am trying to cut costs where I can. I'm suppose to run a 110/91 mix and I've heard of some people running straight 93 pump on race sleds. Is that something I could do or will I burn up my engine? Another question would be what do I have to do to covert the sled so I can run on straight pump?

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
Depending on what was done on the engine, you can convert it easily, or it could be hard. Sometimes, the ignition is advanced a great deal, and needs a higher octane so it doesn't detonate (and destroy the engine) Other times, the compression will be higher to have to use a higher octane. From what you say, it could be a combination of both, in which case you will need to adjust the timing accordingly, and use thicker base gaskets/ find a different head. If you do anything to the engine, you will see significant performance losses. it isn't the octane that makes the engine run with more power, it has more resistance to burn so that the modifications don't destroy the motor.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yes i heard you can run those on 93 but you will need to adjust the timing. Go sign up on SNOWEST.COM. and find the IQR section

They have a entire IQR section all by itself. All the info you will ever need will be there. Enjoy that bad boy!! id look at a 800 CFI kit. You can drop the 800 head and jugs and pistons right on a 08 and up 600R. again go to snowest all the answers are there for you. Not to send you away but not a huge IQR following here:D

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
You will want to remove some material from the head to lower the compression as well as the timing! Good time to go Big, just don't get caught in a sanctioned event!

·
Trevor
4,135 Posts
I think you should run that on either the b or C for timing but I'm not 100% sure. Youll also need a bigger gas tank which are pricey, probably a taller windshield, and revalve the shocks softer. Clutching and gearing should also be changed.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Running on pump is EASY! Just turn your timing switch to I think "G" and that should do it...

As for the oil pump, go to jspowersports.com, the oil pump they sell for Iqr 600s is what I run on mine! Last year was the first year I ran it, and so far no issues!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 2011 IQR and run it on 93 only. You dont need to change anything on the motor just turn the timing box to G and leave it there. The heads are fine to run on 92 so 93 isnt a problem. I live in Vermont and have about 1100 miles on mine in the last 3 weeks. Lots of fun to ride but little stiff for the trails. Oh and the gas millage sucks getting about 6 mpg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts