Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mopar crazy
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't ridden a whole lot, mainly just my trail 90. I don't know much about bikes but I am thinking about possibly getting a street bike. I'm curious what would be a good starter bike. I don't want anything too new maybe like 2005 or a little older. Also what should I look for when I check one out. Any info helps. Thanks in advance.

·
Mopar crazy
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what I was told too. My buddy just bought one and wants me to go riding with him. He knows more about them than I do, and is looking for me but the ones he's found are kinda out of my price range. I think he told me his is a 03 honda cbr 600 and he paid $2600. That's about what year I'm looking for but maybe a little smaller.

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
You can find alot older bikes for alot less for your first bike! I have several. My newist is an 01 and I've had nothing but trouble with it! Most of my street bikes are 84-5-6! And I would put my 84 ZL1000 up against any newer 1000cc bike! For a first bike I might say like a Nija 600 89-94 for about $900-1000!

·
TRH- Troll Raising Hell
6,133 Posts
PS: My Brother got hit by a car on his less than 16 hours after I gave him the keys. ( I loaned him money and would not allow him to drive it until I was paid back. Got a small loan from the bank)

Totaled the bike and he limped away with a sprained ankle and some road rash.

·
Registered
170 Posts
How big are you?
What kind of street bike do you want?
Cross over (Steet or Dirt)
Cruiser (not as fast off the line but can be ridden for hours on end and good for trips)
Crotch rocket? (fast, maneuverable can get uncomfortable after a couple hours due to rider position)
Any particular maker you are interested in?
Harley
BMW
Yamaha
kawasaki
Honda

Plan on getting the gear to go with it.

·
Mopar crazy
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm about 6' 3" and weigh around 180 lbs. I'm looking for a crotch rocket but don't really have a favorite or least favorite make. I have been told to stay away from Ninjas but I think if I can find something that's in my price range it's not gonna make a difference to me but I don't know. I have a helmet but would you recommend getting a jacket as well?

·
TRH- Troll Raising Hell
6,133 Posts
My brother was riding in clothes not proper for a bike nor was he in just shorts. When he got hit and slide on the pavement, he wore through his jeans, a t shirt, as well as a sweatshirt. The roads were wet also.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Best bet would be to go test ride a few.
All the recomendations in the world mean nothing if you don't like the feel of it.
I would stay in the 750(ish) range for beginner power.
I would MOST DEFINETLY recommend getting a jacket.
I would say something that has 3 layers.
Outer layer should breath and have a mesh for air flow for those hot days.
The other two layers (that are removable) will be a warmth layer and waterproof layer.
I usually put the 2 inner layers together (they will zip together) and when needed just put them on like a jacket under the shell.

The shell should have shoulder, elbow and back armor. You will hit the ground at some time. Everyone does. When you do, you will really appricaite the body armor.
I have the Tour Master.
A good pair of boots that give ankle support. I use my work boots.
This is why you should wear body armor.

LiveLeak.com - Oh DEER, look out!

Oh and that is a dirt bike that has been modified to be a cross over bike.

·
Mopar crazy
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love how casual the guy is. It's almost like he'd done it before.
Is there any make of bike that you guys recommend for a starter bike? I found a Suzuki GS500F that has 10000 miles on it. It doesn't give a year. The guy wants a little under $3000 for it. Where I haven't been around a lot of bikes so I'm not sure what a good deal is

·
Registered
170 Posts
For a first bike I would stay away from private sales.
Go to a dealer. You can find second hand dealers and main dealer trade ins.
You will pay a little more but you will have a MUCH better chance of getting a good bike.
Spend some time, check the dealers and you can find a good deal.
Plus you may be able to finagel a bit of a warrenty out of em.
A private owner will fix something just enough to get by and let you find it later.
Until you get some experience you won't really know what to look for and even if you are told, you may not recognize the problem and end up with a hefty repair bill to start out with.

·
Mopar crazy
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a Snell approved helmet that I race with. Are Snell helmets OK to use on the street? I was reading about how they test Snell compared to DOT and it said basically they drop the Snell helmets from a higher point than DOT helmets. I would think that a Snell one would be better but I also know some Snell helmets say they are not intended for street use.

·
Mopar crazy
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just wanted to thank you guys for your input. I have decided against getting a bike all together especially after what happened to a good friend of mine. He had gotten a newer bike and we had a deal worked out to where I was going to buy his old bike as soon as i got my truck paid off. He actually got into a pretty bad wreck on his new bike about 2 weeks ago and is still in the hospital because of it. I guess what happened was he went to leave his house hit some gravel fell off and split his head open pretty bad. Of course he was not wearing a helmet. They did surgery and luckily he has recovered pretty well. He just has to stay for rehabilitation. No major side effects except they had to take a piece of his skull out to allow his brain to swell and they would put it back when the swelling went away. Needless to say, that has spooked me away from them. Not only that but it made me think that if something like that were to happen to me there is no way i could afford the medical expense. Plus the insurance on the bike alone is about as much as i would have paid for the bike. I think I'll choose to stay out of the hospital and save my money for something else.

·
Registered
417 Posts
You will love bikes if you get some training first. You should try one out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts