Snowmobile Forum banner

Question about top speed.

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  BLinindoll 
#1 ·
I just bought a 98 Cat ZR600 EFI LE the other day and today we got about 4" of powder. I decided I couldn't wait for more snow so I took it out for a ride to a local school to see what it could do in their field. (Don't worry. Schools were closed today for the holiday. I wasn't gonna run over any 8 year olds.) But anyway... The only thing I have done to the sled since I brought it home was "attempt" to fix a leaky water pump housing. Other than that I have not done any work to it. I'm not sure if it is a problem or not, but something is tellin me that it should top out a little faster than 75MPH wide open. Keep in mind that it is clutched and chipped, plus an aftermarket silencer. It didn't seem like it was bogged down or anything. It actually sounded like it was running pretty well. Again, I'm not sure if it is a problem with the sled, lack of snow, or something else. Maybe there is nothing wrong and I just anticipated more from a 600 EFI. Anyway... if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

#2 ·
Your water pump is probably shot, that is why it is leaking. You really should fix it before you blow up the engine. What is the engine reving up to? You could have clutching issues. The sled should run about 100mph maybe a little less. There are some people here who would probably tell you that it will run 120mph but I wouldn't believe them.

#3 ·
If the water pump is bad why would it leak from the seal of the housing where the o-ring is? You don't just think it might be a bad o-ring? I believe you, I'm just tryin to get a better understanding of how this stuff works. It's revving to about 8000 at wide open throttle. The guy I bought it from gave me the original clutch springs and stuff. Should I try putting the stock stuff back in?

#4 ·
You should be running around 8400-8500 rpms. Do you know what the springs and weights are on the kit? I would fix the leak ASAP. Ever hear about all the F7 blown engine problems? It was all do to cooling issues. That sled should do over 75 easy, my 600 with my own clutching will hit between 80-90 in about 1000' on the lake and have been clocked by a MachZ around 108 (about 2000'). The 600 should be able to hit 100 (radared) or slighty more in the right conditions at the right distance. If it was 1' of fresh snow then 75 sounds pretty good but only 4"..... I would also look into a compression check. Do you know if the stator has been replaced yet?

#5 ·
Actually, now that i think about it, it prolly was hittin about 8500. Took me a second to recall. And no, I don't think the stator has been replaced yet, but I do know the whole engine was replaced because of the recall. Not sure if the stator gets replaced with the motor. I'll check on the part number for the clutch. I know it's a Black Magic "Heart Throb." Don't know if that tells you anything, but I'll get right back with what I find with the part number or model number, whatever it is.

#6 ·
Ya know... now I'm gonna make myself look stupid. It prolly had something to do with the fact that I was only running about 600 or 700 feet before I had to let off. DUH! Ill have to wait till one of the lakes near me has a few more days to freeze. I don't trust it after that 60 degree day we had. One other question though... should I run premium fuel? I havn't put any fuel in it yet, but I need to before I ride next.

#9 ·
thanks, ill try that... now i just gotta find somewhere that is long enough, or wait till nassau lake freezes! :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.