Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed the belt on my 93' xlt special (580 triple) sits about 1/8" down in the secondary. When I pin it from a dead stop (trying to lift the skis up) it will hesitate for a second and then take off. It also tops out only around 80 mph on hard-pack (sad for a triple) at about 7200 rpm (gets there in a hurry though). Could this be caused by a worn belt? Also, does xlt SP mean Special?
Will this belt perform good?

38X4730 - Polaris Gates Xtreme Belt

Thanks,
Andy

·
Super Moderator
17,904 Posts
I have had good luck with Gates belts on my 650. You can also take the secondary apart and remove a shim from between the sheaves to decrease the distance between the sheaves. That will cause the belt to ride a little higher in the secondary. It should be riding just outside, maybe 1/8" or a little less.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sounds like the belt is worn, it should sit aboit 1/8" above the sheave. BC dan is right about removing a shim but only IF, there is more than one shim in it. If there is only the one large shim in the clutch it must stay in there. That secondary should also have an adjuster on the outside , 3 bolts with a a plate that turns, between the bolts you will see 3 humps with little ramps, there are pins that ride on those ramps, those same pins hit that big washer between the sheeves, thats the reason that shim must stay in there.

To raise the belt a little (with the belt removed) crack the 3 bolts loose, take some pressure off the moveable sheave and turn the plate counter clockwise one notch or so, then snug the bolts back up, that will allow the sheaves to come closer together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts